Spring fever

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring fever

Clearly I have hit that time of year when you imagine your garden full of amazing fruit and veg and get completely over optimistic about how much you can fit in. It’s that bit before reality hits and things either don’t grow well or get eaten by pests. Was so happy to have the garden centres open again that I couldn’t resist buying leek and spring onion plants although I wasn’t planning to grow them this year and have nowhere to put them and I had to really fight the desire to buy an aubergine plant although where I live there is probably no chance to getting any fruit ffrom it.

Ever the optimist Annie, it's not a bad thing Maybe you could fit a few leeks into a compost bag or container. Aubs though do need a fair bit of warmth and sunshine
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Yes will enjoy it while I can. Just thinking I could dot the leeks in spaces between plants and maybe plant the spring onions in clumps, sure I read somewhere you can do that. I’ll resist the aubergine

Comment

Charles Dowding plants spring onions in clumps, we tried and it works well. Good idea about dotting the leeks about too (polyculture )
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

A neighbouring lottie guy back in the uk always planted 3 leeks together in a hole.
          They got to a very decent size too.

I love the idea of planting them dotted around - have you got room in a flower bed?

I seem to recall though that alliums stunt the growth of beans, legumes, peas etc.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would resist the aubergine too - but I have seen aubergines fruiting in a polytunnel at West Mains allotment (south Edinburgh) open day two years ago. I was surprised, and maybe it's a particular variety. It was 2019, not a particularly hot summer here.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
              Clearly I have hit that time of year when you imagine your garden full of amazing fruit and veg and get completely over optimistic about how much you can fit in...
              The garden that I can see in my mind's eye is so much bigger than the garden I have in reality,and it's always a shock that I can't fit in what I can imagine growing.

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              I seem to recall though that alliums stunt the growth of beans, legumes, peas etc.
              ​​​​​​​It's because alliums are good at killing bacteria, and legumes rely on their nitrogen fixing bacteria to grow well.
              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
              Endless wonder.

Comment

^^^ thanks for explaining that MH...I had no idea why!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post

The garden that I can see in my mind's eye is so much bigger than the garden I have in reality,and it's always a shock that I can't fit in what I can imagine growing.
                  This is my problem too! Even though I have quite a large garden, it is not the half acre I imagine it to be and sow enough seeds to fill, twice over!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X