Okra

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okra

Has anybody ever grown okra, ladies fingers? If so have they any advice?

I'll be honest I don't even know if I like it but a packet of seeds had found it's way into my stash....so some are planted.

Most important thing is to move to Africa, America (but not the northern bits) or Southern Spain.

They need a lot of light, high temperatures and IIRC High humidity. I've grown them but it was a lot of work for the few pods I got. Flowers are wonderful though! An ex-university friend of mine (45 years back) lives in Virginia and gets good crops in his garden.

They are a slightly Marmite food (I love them, SWMBO not quite so keen), slightly sweetish, mostly umami taste but interesting texture. They are very good for thickening food like Gumbo or casseroles.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Mark Rand; 04-04-2021, 01:52 PM.
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I really don't fancy moving to Africa so they'll get one chance in the greenhouse.!!

Comment

UPDATE: Two of them have actually germinated already!

Comment

I had 8 germinate, they produced the first seed leaves and grew to 2” tall then just sat there until after 3 or 4 weeks they slowly went brown and died. Just planted another lot to try again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X