Asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus

Woopee, my asparagus is coming through. This will be the first year to harvest. Can anyone advise me please? One of my beds is throwing up brown fungi - quite a lot. It must be coming from the compost fine shredded wood I added to the soil. Will it hurt my crop and will the Asparagus be safe to eat. Obviously I won’t eat the fungi.

If the fungi are growing on the compost then they won't harm the plants.
    The asparagus should still be perfectly safe to eat as long as you wash it. Even if the fungi are poisonous, toxins would only transfer if the spears rubbed directly against the mushrooms, and even if that does happen, it can just be washed off easily enough (and actually, even most deadly poisonous fungi require you to actually eat a fair amount, so what tiny trace rubs off on an asparagus spear probably wouldn't be enough to harm you, anyway).

Comment

Thank you Ameno. Makes sense, but I just wanted to be sure. It’s the sort of thing I worry about at 3.00 am in the morning.

Comment

Remember it's better to cut them at a slight angle below soil level !

The other tip give to me by commercial growers was it tastes sweeter cut in the morning! I've never really noticed that tbh...but they were the professionals!

Enjoy!
        (I think I need to add an asparagus envy to my growing list now!)
        Last edited by Nicos; 16-03-2021, 05:11 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Holly Daze View Post
          Woopee, my asparagus is coming through. This will be the first year to harvest. Can anyone advise me please? One of my beds is throwing up brown fungi - quite a lot. It must be coming from the compost fine shredded wood I added to the soil. Will it hurt my crop and will the Asparagus be safe to eat. Obviously I won’t eat the fungi.
          Have you got a photo of the fungi? I get a few in my asparagus bed but it doesn't concern me.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I thought I'd better check mine too, although it wasn't up until April 5th last year.

Surprised, I was!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6847.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	2520240
            Attached Files
            Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
            By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
            While better men than we go out and start their working lives
            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for the tips Nicos. Mr Badexample, I will take a photo tomorrow when new fungi appear and try to upload it to the site.

Comment

Ha!....I was so jealous that I bought 3 bunches in the supermarket this morning!
                Wont be as tasty in any way though
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X