Tunnel for raised beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunnel for raised beds

Think I need to get some tunnels to cover crops in my raised beds. Has anyone get any recommendations? The beds are variable sizes so need to be adjustable. It’s for thinks like my early potatoes when they first come through or brassicas when I first plant them out.

some of the blue alkathene piping with a short bit of dowel in to make the hoops and then cover with your covering of choice. is the simplest
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
      some of the blue alkathene piping with a short bit of dowel in to make the hoops and then cover with your covering of choice. is the simplest
      I've just had a look at some, what size would you recommend Nick 25mm or 32mm?
      And is there a reason why people seem to choose blue over black, is there a difference that makes the blue better?

Thanks
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Was wondering about buying the hoops and cover separately so I could cover with plastic or netting. How do they stay onto the hoops though ?

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post

I've just had a look at some, what size would you recommend Nick 25mm or 32mm?
          And is there a reason why people seem to choose blue over black, is there a difference that makes the blue better?

Thanks
          I'd go with what you can get locally probably 25mm but 32 will be ok as well but would be a bit heavy duty. The difference in colour is for whats going up it I used to deal a lot with the Yellow and that was Gas. Blue and black are used for water by farmers SO no it doesn't matter really the hardest psrt will be getting the correct size dowel for in the end and you want roughly 8" and you stick 4" inside it and then you have a choice. you can either put a nail thru it so it stick out both sides and then you cput a cover over anthe then tie some of the farmers friend over (Bailing twine) and that holds the cover in place or alternativley just put a scre in that doesn't go thru and sits fluch so something like a 20mm screw and then you cat short of cuts and split them on 1 side legthways an use these like a clip over the tube ... hard to explaine but I dont have any at the moment.

Hope that helps

Alternative would be to use wire but you need something thick enough to support the covers but still be able to bend it
          ntg

Comment

I'd go with what you can get locally probably 25mm but 32 will be ok as well but would be a bit heavy duty. The difference in colour is for whats going up it I used to deal a lot with the Yellow and that was Gas. Blue and black are used for water by farmers SO no it doesn't matter really the hardest psrt will be getting the correct size dowel for in the end and you want roughly 8" and you stick 4" inside it and then you have a choice. you can either put a nail thru it so it stick out both sides and then you cput a cover over anthe then tie some of the farmers friend over (Bailing twine) and that holds the cover in place or alternativley just put a scre in that doesn't go thru and sits fluch so something like a 20mm screw and then you cat short of cuts and split them on 1 side legthways an use these like a clip over the tube ... hard to explaine but I dont have any at the moment.

Hope that helps

Alternative would be to use wire but you need something thick enough to support the covers but still be able to bend it
            Thanks Nick that's really helpful. I've found some in black on ebay that I might get.
            Do you know what the name is of those push on clip like fastenings I've seen people use?

Many thanks
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post

Thanks Nick that's really helpful. I've found some in black on ebay that I might get.
              Do you know what the name is of those push on clip like fastenings I've seen people use?

Many thanks
              Sorry no. my mate used to make them out of spare bits of pipe Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	282
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	2519990 you cut down the length like this and then this clips over
              ntg

Comment

Sorry no. my mate used to make them out of spare bits of pipe Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.png
Views:	282
Size:	1.7 KB
ID:	2519990 you cut down the length like this and then this clips over
                That's the way I have made them in the past.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine are all made from 25mm blue mdpe pipe from Screwfix. It's cheap as chips and plenty strong enough. The frames are 2*2 timber. All in all about £25 to make a 2.6m X 1.3m tunnel. Some are in poly tunnel plastic and some netting. I do make these also by putting the pipe into the ground but the ones on the frames are far less of a pain. Some hinges and a bungy cord are useful so you can open it up and keep it from blowing open. A 25mm spade drill bit makes a nice snug hole for the pipe.

Comment

Had a look and can get that tubing in screwfix. My husband loves that place. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Thanks for the advice got the pipe from screw fix and my husband made them and the dowels. He got a wood lathe for Xmas so good practice. Off to Homebase today to buy some plastic sheeting to cover. He made the clips out of spare bits of pipe as suggested will stick up a picture.

Comment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X