Sturon onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sturon onions

I think I made a mistake last year I thought I read that you could grow Sturon onions from seeds through the autumn winter and plant out in spring , I have plants quite tall will these make good onions, if planted out.
    Last edited by kittykat8; 12-03-2021, 08:25 AM.

I have tried this with Sturon, treating them the same as the Augusta onions that I grow most years. This meant I sowed in mid August and planted out at the end of October when they were still fairly small. They did OK, although not as well as the Augusta ones.

I don't know what yours will be like, it might depend on where you have kept them during the winter, but they should have a chance if you harden them off carefully before planting out. After all, people who grow giant onions for show sow their seed in the autumn!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I grow onions from seed, but not Sturon, how ever I have potted them on into old yoghurt pots and they are now in the greenhouse as part of the hardening off, they will not get planted out yet, probably late April up here. Onions are hungry and thirsty so they do need a bit of looking after.

Comment

I planted some out they are slow to move, the ones in the tunnel are shooting away.

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat8 View Post
          I planted some out they are slow to move, the ones in the tunnel are shooting away.
          Keep an eye on them if they get hot they can bolt to seed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X