No announcement yet.

Sweet corn variety.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's really handy advice. Thanks, ameno. It would never have occurred to me to remove the male tassels from the Minipops.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
      I’ve only ever grown one variety as I was aware more than one can greatly compromise taste. I just wish I knew if removing the excess cobs would be a good move. So if anyone has done this before please do let me know. Thanks all for your help.
      I've not done it and the fact that no-one has replied suggests they haven't either. But there are people on the web who recommend this as a practice.

Comment

I'm growing Sundance F1 this year, I also fancy growing the "trail of tears" coloured corn, has anyone tried it?

Comment

+1 for Swift here
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Swift always for me. I did try damaum last year. That was also nice, bigger cobs than swift. I concur with the varieties issue. As long as they are not super sweets you are probably ok but my damaum crossed a little with my glass gem maize which was planted a little way away and I ended up with a few colour speckles in the damaum. Therefore if it can affect the colour it can also affect the flavour.
            Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
            Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
            Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
            Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

I was given Honeydew Improved last year. Grew 12 plants and they produced 12 super sweet cobs. Plus a few smaller ones. I have enough seeds for this year so will chit them and grow again. Also have bantam in reserve which says it is a heritage variety.

Comment

I've given up growing sweetcorn for the time being because of pest damage, I believe it's the cotton bollworm Helicoverpa armigera.

But the varieties I've had best success with in the past are Swift and Incredible.
                Last edited by TrixC; 23-03-2021, 11:02 AM.

Comment

By coincidence, I am just about to sow my Swift. In modules on the greenhouse propagator then out in two or three weeks.

Once I have sown them it forces me to prepare the plot!
                  I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Primrose View Post
                    I fancied growing sweetcorn for the first time and bought two types of sweetcorn seed from Molesseeds. Having just read this thread, I'm now wondering whether I should plant both types this year or just plant one and save the other type for next year. I've got seed for Earlibird (a super sweet variety) and Minipop (a normal sugar type for harvesting as very young cobs for stir frying). Are they likely to be OK grown together or would they cause problems by pollinating each other?
                    I too am trying Earlibird this year. I might experiment with sowing a few now indoors and some later direct sown.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Have left my sweetcorn (still in pots) on top of the beds, with a bit of fleece for last few nights. It’s been pretty mild so maybe down to 6/7 degrees. They are ok but a couple seem to be wilting. Do i need to put them in the greenhouse or cold frame at night or am I best to just plant them out and keep the fleece on?

Comment

Just went ahead and planted them out. The few that weren’t looking so good are not looking any better, but the rest are ok. Never had issues with sweetcorn before. Oh well got enough looking well to get some sweetcorn and for them to pollinate ok.

Comment

My Earlibird have given me 100% germination, which is good because I only sowed one seed per module. Still in greenhouse at present but will go out under glass in a couple of weeks.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X