X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulch Now or Mulch Later

Hi all,

hope everyone is well

I have two allotments both around 120 Square Metres. I havnt put much into them the last few years so havnt got much out of them either and we are on Clay Soil. I need to put some goodness back into the soil so was thinking of putting some compost or manure on as a mulch. Is it too late to lye this on top now for the Worms to take down (It’s now February) And how long does this generally take? Also should I be using 1 or 2 cubic metres for this size?

Thanks in Advance
    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

I have just recently watched the Back to Eden video on youtube. I have had a word with my log supplier and he says he can get me either fresh wood chippings for paths or composted wood chippings for the beds. After watching the above program I am thinking about investing in both instead of manure.

That way I can plant straight away.

If you can only get manure, as long as its well composted it could go down anytime methinks?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well rotted manure can go down anytime I should think. I grew some squash in a bed that I mulched with completely steaming fresh manure and straw last year. Mulched 6 inches and planted on the same day. They did great, the heat from the maure gave them a great start and they didn't seem to have any issues being planted straight into it. Probably wouldn't do this for other veg mind.

Comment

So long as it's well rotted already, shouldn't be a problem. The locals here incorporate old muck into their veg patches in March and would think you mad for doing anything else, as you'd be wasting the 'goodness' in their eyes.

I'm thinking of ordering a trailer-load now.

Comment

Just don't put it where you are going to grow root crops like carrots or parsnips, otherwise you should be ok.

Comment

We get a farmer to drop a couple of tractor bucketfulls (about 2 ton mabe) over the wall in the winter. About third to line the potato trenches, a third makes ridges for squashes later on and a third as random mulch around stuff that seems to need mulching.
            Once the squashes have finished with it at the back end it makes good potting compost.
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I have to say it won’t actually be Manure. It’s more of a Green Compost but made from wood chipping. I have used it before and it’s very good and almost black in colour (So basically compost). It’s more about whether I should just lye it on the top now or whether I should put it on when I put plants in or if I should now leave it til the autumn and put it in then?
              Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Comment

As long as it's fine enough texture and free enough of large lumps that you could plant straight into it then it really doesn't matter when you apply it.

Comment

You could put some down now to plant some things straight into it,it’ll be nice stopping weed seeds germinating as the weather warms. But it would be nice to add some around your plants after planting too,it is difficult to decide your plots sound lovely & big. As the mulch warms the soil it’ll bring the worms up a bit but I think they’re mainly hibernating now,mine are whenever I move a pot they’re not moving,I have to then move them to safety under some compost.

Comment

Would put it down now as gives more time for the soil to benefit from it, plus one less job to do latter.
                    Last edited by Compostman2; 23-02-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X