Rhubarb, Poulton's Red,

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb, Poulton's Red,

I probably shouldn't be asking this here, so I hope you'll all forgive me.
    I'm looking for a particular variety of Rhubarb and was wondering if anyone here may have some and be prepared to allow me to have some or purchase a Crown, or perhaps swap something with them.
    The variety I'm after was Poulton's Red, sold by D. T. Brown in 2019, but they don't seem to be stocking it again and I can't find it listed anywhere else.
    Many thanks for looking

you could try these guys ... nice day out once we're allowed out again

The Walled Kitchen Garden at Clumber Park is home to the National Collection of Rhubarb - over 130 varieties, making it the second largest collection in the world. We celebrate this fact during 'Rhubarb Month' every year.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

NTG I've bookmarked that site for later, like you say it does look a good day out.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ive never been but been past it a few times.

RHS has the bigger collection of rhubarb but thats a trip to Wisley. Although Harlow Carr may have a few I cant remember. I’ve got Victoria and need another one well would like another but cant make my mind up.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

Nick, thanks so much for the link ; I have to say I didn't know about this one, I thought it was RHS Wisley that held the National collection and trying to get anything like plant material out of the RHS is like trying to get blood out of a stone, they just don't budge for anyone, I've tried before hopefully these people might be a bit more amenable.

I did manage to get some uncommon varieties from Brandy Carr Nurseries in Yorkshire who were incredibly helpful, but even they, who are one of the largest suppliers of forced Rhubarb to the restaurant trade, are having a terrible time replacing the varieties they've lost over the years and everyone they've tried has turned them down, and it looks like in a few years when the current owner gives up, they will have to close for good after over 100 years of being in business, very sad.
          Anyway, many thanks again and thanks Bren for the input.

Comment

Nick, what sort of Rhubarb are you looking for, because Brandy Carr has about 50 varieties, that produce at different times of the year and anything from very sweet to very tart in the taste stakes, they also sell liquorice plants.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X