X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucamelon

Do any members o the forum have exeprience of growimg
    cucamelons in a polytunnel or outside

I've grown them outside a couple times. The crop is so-so. They produce quite a lot of tiny fruits, but because the fruits are so small, the overall crop weight is low.
    They're a novelty, really, rather than a serious alternative to cucumbers.

Comment

I grew them in the greenhouse a few years ago. The " blurb" said they were a cross between a cucumber and a melon. All I can say is Worst of cucumber and Worst of melon. YUK! This is obviously just based on my and my extended families taste. Extended family got them as I really, really didn't want them myself. (They didn't want seconds).

Comment

^^^ Same , my family gave them the thumbs down .

Comment

I was excited at getting hold of some seed and had a go for two years but I won’t bother again.
          Always worth trying these things so at least you know!- you may have the perfect growing conditions and the right shade of green fingers to make them highly successful
          I really wouldn’t have guessed there was even a hint of melon hitting my taste buds.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I found them reasonably easy to grow once they got going. Taste wise the kids like the the first year, but my youngest won't eat them now and my eldest is not fussed, my wife refuses to go near them so they are a no from now on!

You do get lots of small fruit, it was fun whilst it lasted! We did ours all outside and it was fine at the allotment, which is mostly full sun all day.

Comment

I grow them each year outdoors. The problem is that very few of the escape my mouth and reach the kitchen. Cross between cucumber and lime. If you eat them too early the flavour is not so good.

David

Comment

I think I may have left mine too long tbh as they were so small . Most of mine had lots of seeds in them.

Comment

I'm giving them a go this year so it'll be interesting to see how they taste. Worst case scenario they're disgusting and I'll either give them to the chickens I plan to have by the summer or they go on the compost heap, never to be grown again!
                  If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I’d have put them at bland with seeds as far as I was concerned - not disgusting.
                    Let us know how you get on Gillykat!
                    Always good to see how others get on with things I’ve given up on.

Comment

I had one last year in a little polytunnel but it wasn't very happy, so I took it into the greenhouse (this is Edinburgh, and we had a so-so summer, unlike you lucky folk down south). It needed no attention, apart from watering. Grew quite big, but found its own way round the greenhouse. I quite liked the fruit, and so did two friends who really like cucumber, other people not so much. I may grow one again.
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

The last time I grew some they took over the greenhouse. Would have need a machete to prune them. Taste was not to my taste.
                        Bob.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X