Multisowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multisowing

I was just looking at Charles Dowding's website and came across his article on multisowing. It looks interesting. Would certainly save a lot of time pricking out tiny seedlings. Anyone on here had experience of it?

Yes. Used on spring onions & beetroot with success.

Comment

That's good to know. Thanks, Compostman2.

Comment

It also works with radishes.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks, Bren.

Comment

Multisowing should work for round shaped vegetables, which push each other apart as they grow. I've used it successfully for beetroot (its hard not to as beetroot "seeds" are clumps of several seeds anyway) and turnips and I also sow peas 5 to a pot then plant the whole thing out, which is a similar method. The actual crop per plant will be smaller but the crop per square foot may be larger and you have the advantage that there are more individual plants so if some don't germinate or get damaged there is more chance that something will grow.

What you can't do successfully is grow long-rooted veg such as carrots or parsnips in this way. They will get tangled up in each other if they are grown too close together.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I did parsnips a few years ago and they got a bit passionate.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6841.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2518028Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6841O.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	548.9 KB
ID:	2518029Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6845E.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2518030Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6846E.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	2518031
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Plot 70 live and learn ...looks like they had a good time...hee hee.

Comment

There was a big anticlimax when the other half complained that they were hard to peel.
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Thank you, Penellype. Have you found multisown plants suffer from more disease? I'm assuming there will be less air flow between plants.

Your parsnips do look quite affectionate, Plot70. Peeling them must have been quite a challenge.

Comment

I haven't noticed any particular disease with this method, no.
                      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I've only used this method for bulb onions, It works fine, they push one another apart nicely. I don't think they get quite as large as individual ones, but you seem to get more yield per square yard.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I’ve done it with beetroot which worked quite well but they took longer to get to a decent size so maybe thin one row and not the other. I’m going to try it with onions this year.
                          Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                          Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                          Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                          Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X