No announcement yet.

Dwarf French beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you go. Fagiolini al metro aka Yardlong Bean aka Asparagus Bean aka 101 other names...

https://www.google.com/search?q=fagiolini+metro

Comment

^^^^ nice find !
      Thanks for the link.
      I might try some of those this year
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If by "fine" beans you mean the round ones rather than the flat podded ones, the best variety I have found is Sonesta, which is a yellow stringless one. Purple Teepee is a decent purple podded variety. I normally sow mine in May for planting out when the frost is over, but I have had some success with both these varieties grown indoors from a March sowing (3 seeds to a 1 litre pot), starting them off under lights then moving to a windowsill when I needed the space for other things. You won't get a lot from the early sowings, but the plants can be planted outside when the first flush of beans has finished and they will often produce a 2nd crop.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm trying out some golden ones this year : Kentucky Wonder Wax.

For the first time in years I'm trying runners " lady di" my son chose.

Comment

Always bought my french dwarves in France, Talisman are particularly prolific. However, this year i won't get over there in time to buy any so I've got a couple of new varieties to try out.

I always plant them direct in the soil, in pairs, 3 inches apart on or after 15th May, once the frost has gone.

Still have 3 kilos in the freezer from last year.
            Leafy Hampshire
            2 Half Plots, learning every day.

Comment

I grew sprite last year they were good

Comment

I have got a packet of Ferrari.
                The bed is weeded and the manure is piled on awaiting digging in.
                I wonder if I need a Ferrari rotavator to do the final tilling.

Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

It probably too late to get them now but my absolute favourite are emperor of Russia from the heritage seed library. The flavour is really good. Pods are thin and don't develop seeds or string until really late and they also seem to have quite a long harvesting period compared to other beans, really first class.
                  Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                  Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                  Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                  Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Another fan of Sprite (dwarf) here. Grow Blue Lake climbers too but they suffered with wind burn last year. Comparing flavour side by side Sprite were sweeter than Blue Lake.
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I'm trying dwarf Purple Teepee this year, as well as climbers (seeds from my dad so no idea of the variety), they are advertised as stringless and flavoursome, but I wanted the colour!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X