Overwintering cape gooseberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwintering cape gooseberries

Has anyone ever successfully overwintered cape gooseberry plants just by leaving them in the ground?
    I ask because today I went to pull out the old plants left over from the summer, and although the top growth is very dead, the roots seemed to still be alive.
    I've left the remaining three in the ground, in the hopes that they might survive and resprout in the spring.

RHS say hardiness H2 which is minimum of 1-5°C

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/87740/...na-(F)/Details

It’ll be interesting to see if anything grows from the roots or whether the growing point has rotted.

Thats actually made me wonder if they could be cut right back then left under a bucket type cloche over winter...

I only grew them once in a greenhouse on our last lottie and yanked them out before realising they could be overwintered
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'll have to wait and see. I'm hopeful they'll resprout from the roots.
      In hindsight, I should have cut them down before a hard frost and then covered the stump, as you say. But then I never really intended to overwinter them in the first place.

I suspect I may well have cape gooseberries and tomatilloes coming up like weeds in that bed this year, anyway. I am very aware that I just allowed quite a large quantity of fruit from both to simply drop to the ground and rot in-situ. If they're anything like their cousin, the tomato, they will be sprouting all over come spring.
      Last edited by ameno; 30-01-2021, 03:47 PM.

Comment

An update on the cape gooseberries: all three of them are now starting to sprout.
        The stumps above the ground are completely dead, but they are shooting from the roots below.

Comment

I have planted some saved seeds from supermarket fruits as an experiment.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X