What to add to raised beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to add to raised beds

I used all my home made compost for my borders this year so haven’t had any to ad to my raised beds. I was thinking of buying a bulk bag and adding it to top them up and also to add some nutrients before I start putting crops in. Was debating between mushroom compost, multipurpose compost or horse manure. I grow various things in the beds - like courgettes, potatoes, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, squash, garlic etc. Am also planning to try some brassicas this year - cauliflowers, cabbages and kale. I will usually add some additional fertiliser during the growing period depending on the crop - like chicken pellets, liquid fertiliser or blood, fish and bone. Any thoughts on what might be best? Given that I’m not doing this in autumn I guess I’d want to work whatever into the soil a bit rather then leaving it?

I add multi purpose compost to my bed where roots like carrots or parsnips are going to be sown, I add manure to the rest. Horse manure is very hot, so it needs to be old to use in a raised bed, you also need to know what the horses were fed. you might want to read this Aminopyralid contaminated manure - Information on removal, finding safe manure - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk). Mushroom compost is really for soil conditioning, there's not a huge amount of nutrients left in it on it's own, maybe add a slow release fertiliser like blood, fish and bone with it.

Comment

Depends on your soil. l wouldn't bother with anything for the peas, garlic or carrots. Courgettes/squash can handle fresh manure as a mulch, so then you come down to the potatoes and the cabbages. A bit of sulphate of ammonia for the cabbages etc when they are growing strongly and if your ground is poor, maybe some blood/fish and bone for the tatters.

Comment

Thanks for replies. As well as the nutrient issue I’m also looking to add a bit of bulk. I find over the course of a few years the soil level in the beds go down. Found a local place last night that does a good price on 850l bags of multipurpose so might go for that. They also do one that has some seaweed extracts in it. Might buy a small one of that to try but a is a bit a more expensive. All peat free which is good as am going to stop getting any peat free compost from now on.

Comment

Just thinking my soil is solid with frost at the moment and weather is due to stay really cold for next week or so at least. Should I hold off ordering compost until after the ground stops being frozen. Was hoping to add on top and not dig in much tbh but certainly can’t do any digging in at the moment.

Comment

Definitely do not put anyhting compost or whatever on top of frozen ground. The top layer would stop the ground from heating up normally, and so mean your soil would be colder for up to as much as a month.

Comment

Aah right yes that makes sense. Think I’ll wait a few weeks again to see if the weather warms a bit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X