No announcement yet.

Tomato sown in December?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no rocks, but could you elaborate a bit?
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Hi Bride and others if you're wondering where my posts went

I decided it was a stupid question and after I posted the explanation, I re-read them and it seemed too long, off topic and I felt like I was spoiling the thread. If anyone wants to look, let me know, I will pm it to them

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
        Plant the peas anytime you like - shoulder to shoulder in a pot. Keep them on the windowsill. Cut the shoots to use in salad etc - they taste just like fresh peas. The shoots can be cut 2 or 3 times before giving in.
        [ATTACH]6425[/ATTACH]
        Alice that is a brilliant way to get fresh veg! I cannot grow anything in Malaysia but a pot or two of peas for salad or stir-fry is a wonderful idea. What about other young plants? I can get various bean seed here, from the supermarket. Mung beans and various other beans.

Perhaps I should take this thread elsewhere?

BTW, bought some dried peas, just need something to grow them in!!!

Comment

I will definately give the 27th Dec a go for planting some tommies. Will try some cherry ones as GYO mag suggested. Is anyone going to try any other sorts? I haven't got the luxury of heated greenhouse, so will be using my very warm and sunny bedroom windowsill!

Comment

Curses drat and double drat. I dont get home till the 28th, although I am due to be in my house for about 11am. If I take in to account the moons business, when will be the next best time after that for my toms? Zazen its you with the moon knowledge I think?
            And is there REALLY any proof that the moon does influence such things? My local farmers all plant in relation to the moon, and I spose they should know, but always a sceptic till proven otherwise.
            I am going to try though, and will get them watered by hook or crook when I go away again at the end of January.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Originally posted by bobleponge View Post
              Curses drat and double drat. I dont get home till the 28th, although I am due to be in my house for about 11am. If I take in to account the moons business, when will be the next best time after that for my toms? Zazen its you with the moon knowledge I think?
              And is there REALLY any proof that the moon does influence such things? My local farmers all plant in relation to the moon, and I spose they should know, but always a sceptic till proven otherwise.
              I am going to try though, and will get them watered by hook or crook when I go away again at the end of January.
              Don't panic cpt'n mannering.

28th is also good.

If you read my sig the results of my ongoing moon trials are there. Not many right now, but first signs are hopeful.

Comment

As a matter of interest, when would be 'bad' dates to sow in December/January according to the moon?

Also what sort of 'window' do we have for the optimum time - I want to join in, but like some, I'm not sure i'll be home on the actual day?

Thanks.

Comment

Fruit days in December are:
                  1st until 8pm, 9, 10,17, 18, 26 after 1pm, 27, 28 th.

Gardeners Calendar - Vegetable Garden planting guides will assist if you are interested or buy
                  Amazon.co.uk: Gardening and Planting by the Moon: Higher Yields in Vegetables and Flowers: Nick Kollerstrom: Books

I have no interest in either of the above, no financial gain, no contacts...I just buy the book each year and try to grow by it. I don't always succeed.

Check out the website first if you are interested.

Comment

Thanks for the book tip Zazen. I have been looking for an intro to moon planting type of book. Trouble is there are quite a few out there so was getting confuddled!
                    Anyhow have ordered it from amazon now!

Really should stay off there, I get click happy
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Either - oh dear - apologies to your wallet
                      or - hurrah and welcome to the world of planting by the moon.

[what the heck, you deserve a treat]...so welcome.

Comment

Well as Ive said before, I know so little about growing stuff I may as well learn this way of doing it as any other Somehow it feels right to be doing stuff in harmony rather than fighting against, if you get my drift.
                        I probably wont plant early toms though due to space, but have spotted the right day to plant peas for pea top salads
                        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'm planning to join in as I was going to start tomatoes in December anyway, so will plant some on the moon day and some on another day and monitor them.
                          I found this book on Amazon which looks helpful.
                          In Tune with the Moon 2009: The Complete Day-by-day Moon Planner for 2009: Michel Gros: Amazon.co.uk: Books

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

There are lots of sites on the web for this. I just googled 'planting by the moon' and was surprised to find so much for free.

Cannot say that I will be joining the experiment though. It takes me too much effort to overcome the inertia without having a special day as a target.

Wish you all well.

Comment

sub arctic

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                              I'm going to try Janeyo. I've got seeds for Sub Arctic Plenty which I believe were bred to perform in poor light conditions. I've got a heated conservatory so I'll try a couple there. Nothing to loose but a couple of seeds.
                              I tried Sub Arctic this year and would not recommend them. I grew them outside in a raised bed side by side with my usual Moneymakers. Whilst the SAa flowered & fruited earlier (by about 2 weeks) they did not ripen any earlier. Furthermore they tasted bland and yielded less fruit per square metre as they needed to be planted twice as far apart.

If you do not have a greenhouse I would recommend using Moneymakers, especially if you get one of the cheap & cheerful plastic "grow houses" that Wilkinsons (& presumably others) sell for about £12. Just make sure you peg it down.

Not so sure about moon planting but I am going to give a few seeds a go just in case!

Regards

Kitchen Gardener
                              Last edited by kitchengardner; 25-11-2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I have a couple of questions about moon planting.

Who decides what times are best for what?
                                Are all the different guides the same?
                                "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X