sparra grass

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sparra grass

My wife like Asapargus and so I'm going to make her a bed of the darn stuff ... any recommendations as to good tasty varieties ?

TIA
    ntg
    Last edited by nick the grief; 06-01-2021, 09:03 PM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Not grown any since we moved here and there seem to be so many new varieties out there!

Funnily enough I was looking at these the other day, but I can’t import them. Probably just as well as my soil is too dry.

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/rhs-offe...011-asparagus/
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Not grown any since we moved here and there seem to be so many new varieties out there!

Funnily enough I was looking at these the other day, but I can’t import them. Probably just as well as my soil is too dry.

https://www.rhsplants.co.uk/rhs-offe...011-asparagus/
      thanks Nicos I'll take a look.
      ntg

Comment

Rather than devote a bed at the allotment I grow three crowns in my herbaceous border at home. The foliage is ornamental and eventually I may get to eat some of the spears. This will be its third year, so we shall see. I think mine were Connovers Colossal or summat like that?
        Last edited by Snadger; 15-01-2021, 02:41 PM.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I grew some from seed, I can't remember when, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I have 10 plants in their own bed. I don't know the variety but they were T and M seeds. For most of the year I just ignore them. I now get more than the two of us can eat for a few weeks and I absolutely love them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            Rather than devote a bed at the allotment I grow three crowns in my herbaceous border at home. The foliage is ornamental and eventually I may get to eat some of the spears. This will be its third year, so we shall see. I think mine were Connovers Colossal or summat like that?
            never thought of that Snadge, yes it is decorative. might slip a couple in there. space isnt a problem for me though as the allotment is a tad under 1/3 acre so I'm glad of anything that covers the ground.
            ntg

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
              I grew some from seed, I can't remember when, maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I have 10 plants in their own bed. I don't know the variety but they were T and M seeds. For most of the year I just ignore them. I now get more than the two of us can eat for a few weeks and I absolutely love them.
              I've got ssome seeds to put in Connovers Colossal ( just like snadger) and one called Mary Washington - I plant to plant 7 or 8 of each - My wife loves it I'm not so keen but there again its not homegrown its from a supermarket so ...

Thanks for all you help guys and I look forward to sowing the seeds although I have to say Premier seeds 260 seed for 99p there might be a few spares
              ntg

Comment

Pop them in the veggie seed swap for this year,..if we have enough people interested in swapping veggie seeds then that would be brill!
                Being outside the UK I can’t organise that swap, but if anyone would like to organise it we mods would be happy to support the swap!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Pop them in the veggie seed swap for this year,..if we have enough people interested in swapping veggie seeds then that would be brill!
                  Being outside the UK I can’t organise that swap, but if anyone would like to organise it we mods would be happy to support the swap!
                  Does that mean you want some Sparragrass seed Nicos
                  ntg

Comment

Ha ha ha!.... nope....our soil is too dry I'm afraid,..plus, very Frustratingly, we can't import seeds anymore

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X