No announcement yet.

Brassicas to grow

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for Cavolo Nero. Really easy to grow and hardy. I use it to make a Tuscan-style soup with butter beans. The biggest problem you will have is trying to keep the cabbage whites of them! But that's the same with all brassicas. At least the slugs aren't interested in them and neither are the birds (in my case anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
      Planted the cavolo Nero out at the weekend so will see how it does. Both cabbages and cauliflower doing pretty well out in the beds. Did see that the cabbages are getting nibbled a bit though. Not enough to affect the plant but was wondering what the culprit might be?
      Slugs or snails.
      Bird damage would be bigger than that (and besides it's not really the right time of year), and caterpillar damage would be much smaller, as the caterpillars would still only be very small this time of year.
      Slugs won't bother the mature plants, but they'll have the seedlings. I usually lose one or two plants to them every year.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
        Planted the cavolo Nero out at the weekend so will see how it does. Both cabbages and cauliflower doing pretty well out in the beds. Did see that the cabbages are getting nibbled a bit though. Not enough to affect the plant but was wondering what the culprit might be?
        Looks like slug/snail damage to me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X