Non Eu Seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Eu Seeds

Now where almost out of the EU will we start to see seeds varieties come back that the EU do not allow?

I'm hoping I can get My beloved "Rosada F1" again from the usual seeds sellers

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/to...f1-hybrid/90TM
    Last edited by Urban; 26-12-2020, 05:13 PM.

Saying the EU don't allow them is a bit misleading. It makes it sound like the EU has explicitly banned certain varieties.
    It's just that all varieties sold within the EU need to be registered and the seeds need to either be produced within the EU, or else need to be imported with the correct certification. And a lot of seed suppliers outside the EU are not willing to do that, as it wouldn't be financially viable.

Comment

^^^ Thanks for explaining that...(I did wonder if it was to do with invasive seeds, no guarantee on disease free status...that sort of thing)

Time will tell...we’re all very interested on how things will pan out in the gardening world.
      It still seems to be a work in progress but I understand that at the moment Scottish seed potatoes won’t be up for exporting to the EU ...which isn’t good.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think seeds and seed potatoes from the UK to individual buyers in the EU is very unlikely, Nicos. I've had no notification from Suttons, but other suppliers I've bought through have emailed to say they won't be supplying EU purchasers now because of the need for a phytosanitary certificate, which will cost 125 pounds per order.

A friend of mine here was told by his UK-based vitamin supplier that he will have to pay to cover the paperwork and import costs from now on, which will amount to roughly 20 pounds per order to Spain.

And I buy pasta dies from an Italian company and they've posted they won't be selling to UK-based customers now.

So it's all change. Maybe when people go through the fine print of the trade deal, some of this will go back to the way it was, but the need for a phytosanitary certificate has been on the government website for a while, so that's unlikely to change.

Comment

I’m in Northern Ireland and it looks like I won’t be able to order seed potatoes or ordinary seeds from uk. Not really sure what I’m going to do. Hoping the garden centres still have them for sale but they’re all closed for the next six weeks.

Comment

muck lover, you might find that local suppliers will import in enough bulk to make it worth paying for a phytosanitary certificate and then you will be able to buy small amounts from them.

If not, you'll have to source seeds from elsewhere. I've found a few French suppliers that I can use, but the seeds cost more than from the UK. Another country you could look at is Holland, see if you can find some suppliers there.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              And I buy pasta dies from an Italian company and they've posted they won't be selling to UK-based customers now.
              That's odd. I would have thought non-food, non-plant items being imported for personal use would be largely unaffected.
              I mean, I've been buying stuff from Japan and the US for years, and it's really no different from buying stuff from somewhere in the EU except that you might have to pay import VAT when it arrives.
              Last edited by ameno; 27-12-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

That's odd. I would have thought non-food, non-plant items being imported for personal use would be largely unaffected.
                I mean, I've been buying stuff from Japan and the US for years, and it's really no different from buying stuff from somewhere in the EU except that you might have to pay import VAT when it arrives.
                I guess at the moment they don't have the export/import paperwork required as yet. It's the only thing I can think of. Maybe for some small companies that do very little business with UK-based customers, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

I see Tescos are saying that the Brexit deal will have little effect on anything they sell or prices, so why it would affect things like our gardening stuff I don't understand. Our local garden centres plants all come from Holland, for them not being able to ship to the UK must be a huge loss for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

I guess at the moment they don't have the export/import paperwork required as yet. It's the only thing I can think of. Maybe for some small companies that do very little business with UK-based customers, it's more trouble than it's worth.
                    That's just it, though. If they're selling to a private buyer for personal use (rather than another business to sell on) and if what they are selling does not have further restrictions on it (such as certain food items, plants, tobacco, alcohol, etc.) then they shouldn't need any extra paperwork besides a standard customs declaration, which you can just get from a post office in any country. That's why the whole thing strikes me as very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                      I see Tescos are saying that the Brexit deal will have little effect on anything they sell or prices, so why it would affect things like our gardening stuff I don't understand. Our local garden centres plants all come from Holland, for them not being able to ship to the UK must be a huge loss for them.
                      If garden centres are part of a group, they will buy in bulk and it will be worth paying for the phytosanitary certificate from Holland, for example, as it will only be the once for each plant or seed type. You may see next to no changes your end. On the other hand, it may be that the selection of plants will be reduced because a phytosanitary certificate will be required for each one. So rather than geraniums in ten colours, for example, you might only get the most popular five.

And yes, you're right, ameno. It is odd. But here's the website, which clearly states top left no UK orders will be accepted: CAPO12 - Bronze Die | Philips Pasta Maker, Viva Collection, Kenwood. Maybe things will change when the deal is finally signed. Perhaps companies like this are being cautious in case the deal isn't approved by the British government or the EU in the end.

Comment

EU are quite strict with use of chemicals on plants (they banned the use of Bordeaux mixture seems quite strict control) I hope uk don’t start using more potent chemicals on plants that are bad for the wildlife & food circle,it’s quite worrying. If I was the EU I’d want to make sure we have the same agreement on some things,then trading would be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                          EU are quite strict with use of chemicals on plants (they banned the use of Bordeaux mixture seems quite strict control) I hope uk don’t start using more potent chemicals on plants that are bad for the wildlife & food circle,it’s quite worrying. If I was the EU I’d want to make sure we have the same agreement on some things,then trading would be easier.
                          I highly doubt anything will change in that regard.
                          All current EU laws will be transferred by default into British law upon our leaving. It's then up to the government to change any laws they don't like after that. So in order for banned chemicals to become legally usable again those laws would have to be actively repealed, and that seems very unlikely, as not only were those chemicals banned for a reason but, quite frankly, the government have bigger fish to fry.

Comment

Actually I’m just wondering if I’ll still get free seeds with GYO magazine after January 2021. I see a lot of the plant offers exclude Northern Ireland now.

Comment

Hang on in there, muck lover. I've just received an email from Thomas Etty saying that a DEFRA press release suggests that it might be possible for seed supplies to start back up again to NI and EU countries. I've not been able to find the press release myself, but fingers crossed...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X