Unexpected onion sets problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unexpected onion sets problem

For once I thought I'd get myself organised and order my onion sets and seed potatoes online instead of waiting until February/March and seeing which varieties the local garden centre has. I assumed the supplier would send the onions out in a month or two (as they said they would post the potatoes in late January or February) but they arrived yesterday. My garden is already sodden and will remain so till the end of March so if I tried planting the onion sets now they'd be very likely to rot as they'd be sitting in puddles. I don't have a greenhouse and my cold frames are already full protecting the garlic cloves from the rain. How do I store the onion sets to keep them in good condition until I want to plant them out?

I keep mine in the garage - unheated , dry and rodent proof. I am sure a cool cellar (or just the void under the hatch in the cupboard under the stairs would work just as well. ;-)

Comment

Thank, Chestnut. I'll pop them the garage. It's nippy out there but they'll stay dry. Does it matter whether they are in the light or would darkness be better?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Primrose View Post
        Thank, Chestnut. I'll pop them the garage. It's nippy out there but they'll stay dry. Does it matter whether they are in the light or would darkness be better?
        Shouldn't make any difference. It's warmth that encourages them to grow, not light levels. Although if they do start sprouting then they are better moved somewhere light (and planted as soon as possible), as in the dark the sprouts will grow long and thin to try and reach light.

Personally, I would put them in the fridge. I've done that before with bulbs, and I see no reason it wouldn't work fine for onion sets.

Comment

Thanks, ameno. I'll keep them cold and try to remember to check them regularly.

Comment

keep them in the fridge.
            Also potatoes.
            Works for me
            Feed the soil, not the plants.
            (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
            Bob

Comment

I've put them in the garage. It's not attached to the house and is unheated so it's about the same temperature as the fridge!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X