Advice needed .

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed .

I have recently had a good clear up in my back garden .
    Now i have a area of around 20ft x 6ft next to a fence that is not in use i had a quick dig about in this area and apart from the obvious weeds that need clearing and it been a clay soil can anyone give me any advice on how to prepare it to use as a small veg plot and what should i be looking to plant next year .

Ooo.... nice one!
    is it N/S/ E / W facing?

that will make a difference as to what you will plant and therefore your soil prep.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The plot is east facing

Comment

East isn't ideal, but it could be worse.
        How far north are you? If you live in the south, you could probably still grow pretty much any veg in an east-facing plot, although you may well get lower yields of some types than you would in a south or west-facing one. If you live further north, though, then you will probably want to give the more tender crops a miss.

Comment

One of the things I would definitely try to grow would be salad crops: various lettuce, rocket and radish. They don't take long to grow and they are so different from the bought varieties. I'll never forget one of my sisters asking if I'd bring some over when she was making a buffet and was short. When she saw the fresh side by side with a bowl of an upmarket supermarket lettuce her face said it all. It even convinced her to grow some of her own the following year.

Comment

Tradition was to plant potatoes the first year to help break up the ground, adding plenty of organic material like compost or manure will help no end. The hard way is to double dig, but these days a lot of folk just heap the organic stuff on top and let the winter and the worms do the work.
            If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

In my east facing border I get a few good hours of sun & about 5ft in front of the fence I can grow tomatoes in the raised bed (I tried a tomato right next to the fence once but it had about two tomatoes on the plant,it wasn’t a success at all,too much shade) the dwarf apple tree is about three ft from the fence,a lot will do well,garlic,onions,runner beans,brassicas,squash can be planted to trail eastward,try everything you like to eat. I’ve got a few broccoli plants in that area now & dahlias close to the fence that come up every year,remember in the summer it’s a lot drier,the plants will have some morning sun good luck!

Comment

I live in South Yorkshire regarding organic matter i have a ready supply of used rabbit bedding and the usual compost and manure readily available to me .
                My Grandson keeps two rabbits on our back garden and they are cleaned out weekly could this be used ?

Comment

Old manure is better, when my kids were little the rabbit and guinea pig bedding/waste went into the compost heap, good stuff too. Fresh waste is often buried and then grow runner beans on top. For now heap all the waste and compost on the area and then in the spring we'll see if it needs digging in or not, you could put some old cardboard or newspaper down first if you have some, then put the good stuff on top of it.
                  If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

Comment

I have had a scrounge round and have got a good bit of cardboard together .
                    We are also decorating and have a bin bag full of wall paper off cuts left could these be used ?
                    I have never used cardboard to improve soil in my garden before this may sound like stupid question but what is the best way to use it to get the best out of it ? .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X