Tasty Squash List??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tasty Squash List??

I've seen some great photos of squash harvests from 2020. But looking ahead to 2021 what are the best flavored squash? Share the tastiest recommendation for us to try?

Our 2020 crop of red Kuri and Crown Prince were both delicious and I will definitely try them again. Shout out your top recommendations pls

You've listed my favourite 2 haha

Comment

We only use Butternut, use them in soups and curries, next years are an F1 seed from Dobies

Comment

I did turbans and they taste like butternuts but are easier to grow in the UK climate.
        I harvested 4 butternuts from two plants and 30 turbans from 5 plants.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Potimarron aka Red Kuri/Onion Squash is my absolute no.1 favourite, second would be Sweet Dumpling Squash. I've grown Autumn Crown, a cross between Crown Prince and Butternut, but haven't tried it yet.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

My new favourite is Uchiki Kuri (onion squash) that I have grown for the first time this year. I also like Winter Festival squash. I'm not a fan of Turk's turban (although they look great when they're ripe) or Sweet Dumpling.

Comment

Marina di Chioggia is excellent. I highly recommend it. It's consistently very tasty, it's heavy cropping (although it does produce large fruit, so if you can either finish a single fruit within about 10 days or else freeze the excess then that may be an issue), it keeps ages (had mine until April year before last), and the plants themselves seem almost immune to powdery mildew, which is a real bonus.

Comment

I haven"™t tried many squash varieties,I like having a look at the RHS award of garden merit list,go to squash & google all the varieties listed. You can also google the trial reports to see what"™s good about them,why they"™ve gained an agm & they show each squash in detail,honey bear squash has powdery mildew resistance & quite compact plant etc here"™s a photo of the list of squash & also a link to the rhs agm list of fruit & veg where I got the photo from -
                https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/pdfs/a...vegetables.pdf
                Last edited by Jungle Jane; 07-11-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Had some of Marina di Chioggia last night and it was lovely so I'm adding that. Got nearly 50kgs yield as well. The skin was really tasty once roasted too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201107_191727_compress9.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	2511696

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
                    Had some of Marina di Chioggia last night and it was lovely so I'm adding that. Got nearly 50kgs yield as well. The skin was really tasty once roasted too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201107_191727_compress9.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	2511696
                    Those don't look that different to turbans apart from the indent where the stalk joins on.
                    I have got the second sealed foil wrap from the packet of turban seeds for next year. I will try jacking the fruits up off the ground right after they have set to give them more sun. The ones closer to the bed where it was more crowded were not as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post

Those don't look that different to turbans apart from the indent where the stalk joins on.
                      I have got the second sealed foil wrap from the packet of turban seeds for next year. I will try jacking the fruits up off the ground right after they have set to give them more sun. The ones closer to the bed where it was more crowded were not as good.
                      A lot of squash have that same general shape.
                      They are somewhat different, though. Marina di Chioggia are a dark, often olive green; they usually (although not always) have lots of lumps all over their skin; they are larger (5-7kg); and finally turban squash are bred to have that "button" at the bottom of the squash grow particularly large, where as in other squash it tends to be smaller (the button growing large isn't necessarily a good thing, either, as the button tends to have only quite thin flesh on it).

Comment

I've never grown/tasted turbans but these were trouble free and returned a hefty crop. The taste and colour is superb so I'd certainly give them a go.

Comment

Turbans grow about the size of a small supermarket pumpkin and yes the blossom end has thin flesh with lots of seeds.
                          The stalk end is relatively flat so that the shell can be used like a single use casserole dish for an impressive way of serving it.
                          We did one with fish stew in it the other day. The flesh was just mixed in and then cooked in the shell.
                          The flavor is more like butternut than pumpkin.
                          The grew far more easily than butternuts.
                          I have got loads of saved seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                            Turbans grow about the size of a small supermarket pumpkin and yes the blossom end has thin flesh with lots of seeds.
                            The stalk end is relatively flat so that the shell can be used like a single use casserole dish for an impressive way of serving it.
                            We did one with fish stew in it the other day. The flesh was just mixed in and then cooked in the shell.
                            The flavor is more like butternut than pumpkin.
                            The grew far more easily than butternuts.
                            I have got loads of saved seed.
                            I love that idea of using the squash shell as a serving bowl

Comment

A guy i know, in fact, a neighbour... mentioned Cricket Ball squash as a good option. Obviously, they are apparently cricket ball-sized and dark green. Single servings...has anyone grown these, know what are really called, and are they tasty enough to bother with?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X