Dismayed!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicola.P View Post
    I have learnt that I can sneak a range of veg into a stew or cassarole and tell him that it's just potatoe.
    I've tried that with my boyfriend, most veg I can get away with, but he hates beans, I've tried several different varieties and chickpeas too, but he says he doesn't like the texture!! Rubbish, not much point growing beans next year I guess!!
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yorkshire pudding . Yum.
      When I was child my mother had a friend in Yorkshire and we visited her every year. She made the most scrumptious Yorkshire pudding in big roasting tins. She served it as a first course with gravy or fresh orange juice over it. It was really lovely with the orange juice. I still fantasize about it. Never had yorkshire pudding like that since.
      I think the bought stuff, and what they dish up in hotels here is horrible.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Winter mash...50% + of spuds, then-carrots and 'other non green veg mashed in- served with bangers and ketchup always saw mine through a 'difficult' period!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Awww...that would pee me right off too Snadger

Mine are the opposite, an since they have tasted my home grown veg they commandeer the veg for themselves from seedling stage almost. My ol mum went off with my first beetroot even!!! I were gutted but didn't dare say no.
          I am glad really though . It makes me feel good to see them eating my healthy veg.

Once upon a time veg were just something i purchased to cook with meat , or pie or fish etc for them. Now we find ourselves with the veg as star performer an we buy the meat or fish to fit with what ever veg is in season and what we are cropping from our kitchen garden.
          I have special requests from the family to grow more of this, an can we try growing that, and my stuffed marrow is now a firm family favorite and i am under heavy instructions to grow more marrows next year to keep up with demand.

Your lot don't know how lucky they are to have all that fresh grown veg on the table or not as the case may be.

Throw my onions in the bin!!! i dont think so...grrr

Wren
          Last edited by Wren; 22-11-2008, 04:02 PM.

Comment

My sis's absolute favourite food is beetroot....but,apparently,mine are too dirty....but it's O.K...my mums taken to having double quantities & cooking/peeling them for her!!.....she is only 40!!!
            As for Yorkshires....Pop some plain flour & an egg in jug...mix to stiff consistency...slowly add milk to make slightly runnier batter,then add a splash of beer or soda water.Leave to rest whilst frying finely chopped onion in veg oil,transfer that to oven dish & heat til really really hot in t'oven...add the batter & wait til it's almost touching the top of the oven!!I really can't stand the smell of lard!!
            the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              Soooo?????Who said what they're supposed to look like???
              It's the taste which really matters!
              I make lovely( quote OH and kids) big, soggy Yorkshires and my mother makes 'lovely'cardboard small ones.

Who is right?????

we love having a curry or chilli, or meat and potato pie filling, or other stuff in a plate sized yorkie ...... or loads of gravy ........ if it rises up in the middle everything doesn't fit ....... whereas if you get the frozen ones you can fit loads in without it running all over the floor ........ we love my yorkies, i just want to make my own big ones with a dent ...... instead of having to buy them (although we do kinda like the bought ones too) id just rather make my own........ i use 2 eggs 4 heaped dessert spoons flour, half a pint of milk and a pinch of salt ........ and always make it a few hours before hand, put in fridge, then whizz with a whisk just before cooking, they is yum ........ but i want them not to rise ....... i don't ask for much lol ...... but this one annoys me.

Comment

Just a simple question Lynda...you are using PLAIN flour I hope????
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used to despair of my younger son and vegetables - he went through a long phase of eating only 'protest' peas as he called them. I used to smuggle vegetables into food (grated carrot and lentils into the meat mixture of cottage pie etc). Now both he and his older brother, who was admittedly less fussy, love their veg. Both are pleased at the prospect of receiving a veg box each week from Mum's allotment. The older one has even started growing veggies in the borders in his garden and has cast envious eyes over my raised beds - sitting on the lawn in my tiny garden. They do eventually come to their senses!!

Comment

Snadger - I'm outraged about your onions! Not only is your veg free, but its much healthier, and a labour of love and source of pride! I'm proud fit to burst about eating my own produce - and go on about it at length to my son (he's 15) until his eyes roll like mine did when I was young and my Mum did the same. He's sensible enough to agree, that yes, he's never tasted potatos like mine etc etc but was a bit bewildered this year about all the purple produce - purple cabbages, purple potatoes, purple caulis ...(must admit the purple caulis were a bit strange looking with a cheese sauce).
                    I didn't get the growing veg bug until my thirties, same with my Mum, although her Dad was a keen grower too. Maybe for some people its a maturity thing and there's hope for your son yet ; )

Comment

Don't despair Snadger.

Some of your good work will hopefully have rubbed off, and in years to come you may find that your son follows in your footsteps.
                      Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisB View Post
                        Don't despair Snadger.

Some of your good work will hopefully have rubbed off, and in years to come you may find that your son follows in your footsteps.
                        Nah.......he's a pen pusher not a wheelbarrow pusher!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X