Half-rotted manure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half-rotted manure

I will be collecting a load of half-rotted manure tomorrow, and was wondering whether it would be best just to pile it onto my vacant veg beds and let it finish rotting in-situ or whether I would be better off stacking it all on one place and letting it compost on its own until the spring? I'd rather do the "lay it on the beds" option if possible, as it's less work and I don't need to find another space to stack it for composting.

Our committee get the local riding school to deliver manure to one big heap for us to help ourselves.
    I had quite a bit of wet clay with stubborn grass and couch grass roots in it.
    I built a clay walled raised bed with the weed roots at the bottom and a lot of part rotted manure on top.
    The squashed went in a thin layer of top soil over the top of the manure.
    The roots just worked there way down as the manure rotted and cropped well.
    I have just begun to dig over the bed and the stuff is brilliant with a peat like structure from the couch grass root content.
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Spread it on the beds. It will have pretty much disappeared by spring.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

It will depend on how much straw or bedding is in it. No way straw will rot down in a bed that quick. It might if piled a meter high though. If it's just manure tho I'd definitely just stick it on the beds.

Comment

This time of year, I’d put it on the beds and let the worms, and winter weather do the work for you

Comment

Collected 8 big sacks full.
            It was more rotted than I was expecting, actually. The "hot" phase seems to be long finished, and it's now earthy smelling and full of worms. It still has a fair amount of not full decomposed grass fibres in it, though, so it's clearly not completely done.
            I shall spread it on the beds and leave it over winter.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X