Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion sets.

Looking for some advice.
    Last week I planted my onion setts in containers as my garden has white in the soil.
    Question, would it be better to keep them in the greenhouse or outdoors.
    Thanks in advance.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

I personally would keep them in the greenhouse until February or March if you have the space. Mine are planted outdoors but I do find that a few succumb to the winter weather and bird predation, whereas indoors they are bit more protected.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger, I will keep them under cover.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

bramble there was an artical I came across (can't remember where it was) but it was recommended you steep onion waste (onion, garlic and leek) in a bucket of water then spray it over any ground with onion white rot in it, the liquid should applied when the soil is warm enough for the fungus to be active, the theory is that the fungus will be attracted to the onion trace in the water but as there is no solids for it to attach to, it will die off, I have never tried this but if I had the problem I would definitely give it a go as it costs nothing to try it and if your soil is still warm enough just now I would try it now, then again in the spring
        ​​​​​​

​​​​​
        ​​​​​

it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

You want to do more than just spray it. It would need watering in, to make sure it penetrates.
          Garlic powder (dug in) is apparently the most effective, but onion waste works, too, as you suggest.

Comment

This study shows allium waste is the best treatment,slightly better than garlic powder (cost nothing too) applied for a few months before planting.
            Onion oil, garlic oil and Allium waste were the most effective treatments in reducing sclerotia survival. After 120 days of exposure to these treatments, the survival of viable sclerotia was reduced to 91.3, 92.7 and 96.0 %, respectively, compared with 15.0% in untreated soil. Onion powder and garlic powder showed moderate effects reducing the survival of viable sclerotia by 83.0 and 81.7%, respectively.
            https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...05844018367136

Comment

Is this problem just in one area Bramble, or all your soil? Would a new raised bed sort the problem?

Comment

Thanks for the advice all. Burnie, I will give the raised bed a try, it might just work.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X