asparagus- grown from seed this year

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asparagus- grown from seed this year

I had some free asparagus seeds sent to me when I ordered some japanese black trifele tomato seeds form america ( they are big toms-thought they were cherry ones!) I sowed the 20 seeds and have ended up with 15 good little plants with very strong roots in 3 1/2 inch pots.They are still on my greenhouse bench....what do I do with them now? there were no growing instructions with the seeds.Do I pot on to bigger pots? do I put them outside to harden off-maybe its a bit late for that- any advice from fellow asparagus growers welcomed

Pot them on into larger pots and stick them in the ground next spring. Keep damp and the roots frost free over winter. You can cut back any top growth as soon as it goes brown. Remember not to cut any shoots in 2007 or 2008 so the plant's roots become established ( well I bet you will try the odd one in 2008 as the wait will kill you!!)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for your advise, will look after them until I get my allotment, then they can be cozy till I cut them in 2008- cant wait!!

Comment

On the same topic ... I have some one year old plants which I have grown in 6" pots and now have a space ready to plant out in. The internet has suggested that I plant them 5" deep but wait till the spring ... does anyone have any thoughts on this? cheers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X