Holes in my sweet peppers!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holes in my sweet peppers!

Hi can anyone help? My Sweet Peppers, growing in my polly tunnel, seemed to be doing very well, but I noticed a couple starting to discolour and rot. I found a hole in each one, about 3/4 mm in diameter, when broken open I can’t see any sign of the little rascal/s. In one I found some very small wood lice, not sure it’s them, possibly drawn in by the rotting pepper.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks Jamie.

Sometimes I find a tiny caterpillar inside but sometimes it’s snails that have eaten a hole. Have a look tonight with a torch?Woodlice are attracted to any damaged fruit because they like tidying up. Once,I cut a pepper open & a moth flew out,there was a lot of black frass by the seeds,I threw that one away but you can cut round the damaged areas usually & still eat them.
    Last edited by Jungle Jane; 04-08-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

It's most likely snails or slugs. I've had problems the last two years with them eating holes in my peppers. The holey fruit then proceeded to rot last year, but this year they are are still continuing to grow despite the holes. Possibly the dryer weather is keeping the rot at bay.

Comment

I'd guess teeny snails, they like to munch little holes in peppers.
        I've had tiny caterpillars on pepper and tomato leaves, only on one tomato plant so far this year. They like to drop down on a silk as soon as you start searching for them!
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          Sometimes I find a tiny caterpillar inside
          This. I'd bet money on it. Probably as much as 20p, I'm so sure.
          Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
          By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
          While better men than we go out and start their working lives
          At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post

This. I'd bet money on it. Probably as much as 20p, I'm so sure.
            Sorry, not much help to finding the cause of the holes I know, but this made me laugh
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post

Sorry, not much help to finding the cause of the holes I know, but this made me laugh
              Thanks, all comments welcome, glad I could make someone titter.

Comment

I had this last year on my peppers, and it was snails. So annoying as they just made a hole, didn't eat the pepper, but the damage was enough to start rot. The rest of the pepper was edible, but I couldn't leave them on to ripen. Couldn't face it again this year, so have put a tiny number of pellets on the lids of the quadgrows, which has worked so far. Don't routinely use them, as I prefer to gather up slugs and snails and get rid that way, but they're nowhere to be seen in the greenhouse.
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X