Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter cucumber and courgettes

Is there some feeds you shouldn't use with
    ​​​​cucumber and courgettes I was using a homemade comfrey feed then started using a seaweed feed and worm juice my cucumbers were fine to start with but are now bitter and the courgettes were bitter from first using them so I pulled them out so before I pull out the cucumber does what you feed matter, what I am going to do is stop feeding the cubs for a fortnight then feed aidle from chicken manure to see if it makes a difference
    Last edited by rary; 02-08-2020, 01:51 PM.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Both can go bitter under extreme stress, but this usually requires severe drought during fruit swelling. Never heard fertiliser type to make a difference.

Otherwise, courgettes are usually only bitter if there is a rare genetic defect, in which case the whole plants will always be bitter and should be removing.
    Cucumbers usually only go bitter when self-setting varieties are pollinated. Genetic defects may be possible, too, but since yours were fine from the start that can't be the case for you.

Comment

Is it a female only cucumber & has a male flower appeared anywhere? I’m having a strange cucumber year,I don’t think it’s the variety it should be,hasn’t produced anything yet & the flowers look huge supposed to be diva but I always grow them,this is growing more like a monster

Comment

I had to stop growing female only cukes because of this problem, I now grow Ridge cukes which need male flowers, never had a bad cuke since.

Comment

Not sure of the type but I have had 7 cucumbers from the plant already and all were fine
          Last edited by rary; 02-08-2020, 09:44 PM.
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

And how many bitter ones have you had from it?

Comment

I found this about bitter cucumbers....
              https://www.thespruce.com/why-are-cu...bitter-1403369

I am actually looking fir a link to 'soaping' them (I think that's what it's called) where you cut off one end and rub it into a lather against the other cut edge. It's supposed to take away the bitterness.
              Not sure which end though!!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Both ends apparently!

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...mbers-0157089/

I'd be interested to see if this really does work..
                anyone tried it?
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

^^^^^ I removed the only one that I had on the plant this morning it wasn't very big but tried after tasting, rubbing the cut end and then washed it though it did taste better there was still a bit of bitterness in it but not as bad as it had been so possibly would work if there was a bit more effort put into it I don't like cucumbers anyway

Comment

After getting some information elsewhere, it stated that the problem could be temperature related though everything like watering and feeding was fine and the plant looks healthy there have been times when the greenhouse temperature has been up in the mid to high 30s even with all windows and doors open so possibly I should look toward providing some shade for the cucumbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X