Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Butt?

Hello All,

Hopeful you all could help me out and point me in right direction to get a water butt kit?

Thanks
    GH

I just bought one from Wickes, comes with everything you need.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Great peanut £30 for a 100l seems v reasonable.

Comment

opted for 250l one for extra £10

Comment

I got the big one too. It has only rained once since I got mine lol
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Originally posted by ghexton View Post
            Great peanut £30 for a 100l seems v reasonable.
            Aldi (or Lidl, can't remember which) periodically do them for about half that. £16 I think I paid for each of my three.

Got a 210l one yesterday free on a local Facebook group.

Got two 210l blue plastic barrels this morning, also free from the group.

Keep your eyes open and you may not need to spend anything at all.
            Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
            By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
            While better men than we go out and start their working lives
            At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

mrbadexample thanks i was going to use blue plastic barrell, but i would have to faff with stand, tap and pipes ect.
              So id bit the bullet and got it all as kit which will hopeful be lot easier to setup.

Comment

mrbadexample thanks i was going to use blue plastic barrell, but i would have to faff with stand, tap and pipes ect.
                So id bit the bullet and got it all as kit which will hopeful be lot easier to setup.
                Yes, I'll have to do some fettling.

Depends how quickly you need it too - if you want it for nothing you need patience. I've been looking for months but now I should be able to take the strain off the water meter.
                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

A certain online store associated with a big river, has water butt connections and taps at very reasonable prices. We have a local Supermarket here that also do very competetive prices that knock the likes of Homebase/BnQ/Wickes fittings prices into a cocked hat.

As someone that now owns 8 butts of various types I recommend you get the biggest that will fit the use/location. The Aldi/Lidl offerings I've had in the past came complete with stands, taps and hoses. One more word of hindsight, the plastic taps become brittle if exposed to sunlight over extended periods and can snap the handle off so you need pliers to open or close them. For lengevity consider more robust options and remember you need the back nut too! Crawling in a wet smelly water butt to change a broken tap is not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon!

Comment

Believe it or not, the local water company (Anglian) had an amazing deal, which is how I got most of mine. I have 2 x 300l and 1x 250 plus a couple if smaller ones on the greenhouse (yeah, should have gone bigger!) Still not enough... Aldi/Lidl/Wilkinsons can all be good sources of water butts and accoutrements. They do last a long time: my oldest is 25 years old and it is fine, even though I have a very exposed garden.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                      A certain online store associated with a big river, has water butt connections and taps at very reasonable prices. We have a local Supermarket here that also do very competetive prices that knock the likes of Homebase/BnQ/Wickes fittings prices into a cocked hat.

As someone that now owns 8 butts of various types I recommend you get the biggest that will fit the use/location. The Aldi/Lidl offerings I've had in the past came complete with stands, taps and hoses. One more word of hindsight, the plastic taps become brittle if exposed to sunlight over extended periods and can snap the handle off so you need pliers to open or close them. For lengevity consider more robust options and remember you need the back nut too! Crawling in a wet smelly water butt to change a broken tap is not an experience I want to repeat anytime soon!
                      i will make sure i locate the tap out of direct sunlight then!, thanks for the tip.

Comment

Check your local council some of them sell butts at a discounted price.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Water but arrived, nearly setup.
                          Any ideas on how to connect to this fitting on GH rather than a drain pipe?
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200804_160250.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	589.7 KB
ID:	2505886Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200804_160256.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	2505885

Other option would be to buy some guttering and have it connected to run off from shed roof, however then i will need to buy some guttering ect.
                          uggh.

thanks all.

Comment

Remove the fancy black plastic bit. You could use a short length of plastic pipe and cut off the top bit to slide over the guttering. Secure it to the side of the gutter with a self tapping screw. Direct the flow to your butt!

Comment

i will make sure i locate the tap out of direct sunlight then!, thanks for the tip.
                              You could simply put a cover over it something like a large black pot with half the side cut away a hole bored on the base so that it could be secured with the tap locking nut
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X