Heat or light

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat or light

Reading my last thread about leaves on tomato plants I see some Grapes remove some leaves to let the light in, I was told a number of years ago that heat was more important than bright light for ripening tomatoes, so what do you think is more important
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

I agree that warmth is more important than light - I find no difference in ripening between shaded fruit and those in the sun. Direct heat is another matter - very hot sun on ripening fruit can cause greenback.

These are some Balconi Red that were developing during the very hot sunny spell we had in June. Tomatoes that were not on the window side of the plants were less affected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	907.6 KB
ID:	2503133

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I can't really do much about the heat other than open and close the door. Light, for me goes with air flow, so as the trusses appear I remove the lower leaves. My greenhouse is absolutely crammed, if I didn't remove some leaves from everything in there it would be as dark as the floor in the Amazon Rainforest!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I remove lower leaves on toms to increase air flow around the base of the plants ,rather than give the tomatoes light.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When I was in Fuerteventura some years ago the poly tunnels were in fact covered with brown netting to shade the tommies and let some air through, one local told us(not that my Spanish is much good) that too much heat or sun is no good, as I live in NE Scotland I am unlikely to be bothered too much by either of those..........................

Comment

It's more to do with airflow and the ease of picking.
            If moisture hangs about botrytis, mildew and Blight are more likely to result.

Comment

My father worked in a big greenhouse setup growing tomatoes.
              They always stripped the leaves from below a truss once they started ripening.
              More airflow and less chance of disease.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X