Tree onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree onions

I have a bed of egyptian walking onions, which I harvest for the stems, little bulblets, and at some point the larger bottom onion.
    I happened across something called a tree onion, whilst passing a nursery on a walk yesterday and the top bulblet looked totally different to mine. Mine look just like what you see if you google 'egyptian walking onion' -purple skinned and small. This other tree onion had a brown skinned bulblet which was much bigger - about the size of a silverskin pickled onion, and it was a bit more of a squat shape.

Can anyone tell me whether I saw an abnormal walking onion or whether this might be a potentially superior type of bigger bulblet tree onion?

I think I might need to retrace my steps to this nursery and get me one...

OOohhhhh... I had always thought that Egyptian Walking onions and tree onions were the same thing and they were like you have - small purple bulbs.

I'd be interested to hear the answer on this one
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

They are the same thing, but there are a number of different varieties of walking onions. It could have just been that? Some red, some more green, different sizes. I've just ordered a variety pack that included Catawissa, Moritz, McCullar's and Amish.

Comment

Yes, that is quite possible - I'm off to google all those varieties you just mentioned - I need to get hold of some different varieties I didn't even know existed! Yey.

Comment

Originally posted by Right Shed Fred View Post
          Yes, that is quite possible - I'm off to google all those varieties you just mentioned - I need to get hold of some different varieties I didn't even know existed! Yey.
          Check out the onion man on ebay (based in Scotland), he also has potato onions which are a rare find in the UK

Comment

[QUOTE=MelanieSW;n2502881 I've just ordered a variety pack that included Catawissa, Moritz, McCullar's and Amish.[/QUOTE]

Where have you ordered them from if you don't mind me asking?(!)

Comment

Originally posted by Right Shed Fred View Post

Where have you ordered them from if you don't mind me asking?(!)
              The onion man on eBay. Great selection, grown in Scotland

Comment

Mine have the small purple bulbs but they're very fiddly to peel so i don't really use them as much as I should.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Mine too Bren. I grew them as a novelty but am not sure how I would use them as they are tiny
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I use the tiny purple onions in Asian style noodle soups. But yes, they're a bit small and fiddly for anything where you can't just chuck them in. Thanks for the supplier tip!

Comment

I did a bit of checking and it says to drop the bulbs in boiling water for 2 mins then plunge into cold water and it’s supposed to make them easier to peel.
                      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 12-07-2020, 06:45 PM.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X