Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many plants can I fit into this pot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many plants can I fit into this pot?

Hi all,
    Just wondering how many cucumber plants I can fit into a 30L pot or 20L pot?
    the 30L is 37cm (height) x 40cm (diameter)

the 20L is 26cm height x 32cm diameter

also the same for courgettes and tomatoes (not planted together) but how many could I fit into these 20 & 30l pots.

Also when putting out the cucumber/courgettes/tomatoes into the greenhouse, do I need to get them used to it gradually or will they be ok to just go into there from the house now?

thank you

One pot one plant of the sort you have would be my advice - squeezing extra plants in for salad cops like lettuce and radish say is certainly the right thing but having two medium-sized courgette plants is worse than having one large one.

I'm not sure where you a live but tender plants can go out into GH in most parts of the UK from May onwards - some of us risk it a little earlier

The other thing to consider with plants in pots in a GH in the summer is watering - if we get hot weather then watering 3 times a day may not be enough for the plants and can become a real chore - people have tried different solutions to this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
      One pot one plant of the sort you have would be my advice - squeezing extra plants in for salad cops like lettuce and radish say is certainly the right thing but having two medium-sized courgette plants is worse than having one large one.

I'm not sure where you a live but tender plants can go out into GH in most parts of the UK from May onwards - some of us risk it a little earlier

The other thing to consider with plants in pots in a GH in the summer is watering - if we get hot weather then watering 3 times a day may not be enough for the plants and can become a real chore - people have tried different solutions to this problem.
      Thank you, I’m based in Essex so it should be fine. So a 20L pot for 1 plant.

And am I right in feeding my courgette/cucumber and tom plants with tomato feed once they start flowering?

Comment

Hi Lola, I don't usually feed until the flowers set and you can see small fruits, then it's a couple of times a week until larger fruits grow, then I feed every other day.

Comment

You're very welcome - some varieties of the same plant will grow bigger than others - eg bush or patio tomatoes are naturally smaller than say indeterminate sorts, but to generalise courgettes will make the biggest plants of the three you list, then tomatoes, then cucumbers.

As for feed, if you are growing in new compost the feed in that should be plenty enough for 3 weeks say, after that use a liquid feed at the dilution recommend by the manufacturer - I usually just by the cheapest granular feed as its easier for me to store any surplus of that over winter and also it can be mixed in with old compost when re-using that for say hanging baskets.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X