Comfrey feed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfrey feed

When making a comfrey feed is it better just to use the leaves by themselves or do you get the same benefits using the stems as well
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

I use the lot!
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I just chuck it on the soil and let the rain wash it into the soil.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I add the lot to my buckets it all breaks down Rary.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The lot, I scrunch it up or rip it a bit and toss it in the (sealed) bucket. After 3-4 weeks the stench is very pervaiding so don't spill it on your skin/clothes unless you already have no friends and family!

Leave it longer and the liquid gets darker, but I'm using all I can make at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
            The lot, I scrunch it up or rip it a bit and toss it in the (sealed) bucket. After 3-4 weeks the stench is very pervaiding so don't spill it on your skin/clothes unless you already have no friends and family!
            I've heard this said before, but I actually kind of like the smell. I find it smells uncannily like the fermented foods one can buy in Japan. It reminds me of browsing a Japanese supermarket.
            Now nettles, they really do produce a brew with an offensive smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

I've heard this said before, but I actually kind of like the smell. I find it smells uncannily like the fermented foods one can buy in Japan. It reminds me of browsing a Japanese supermarket.
              Now nettles, they really do produce a brew with an offensive smell.
              Watching Gardners world this week reminded me of the people who don't steep thier comfry, but squeeze it gently over time and collect the plant juice. It needs to be collected regularly to prevent evaporation, but is concentrated and stink free!

Comment

I recently rigged up 2 new 200L water butts to my lottie shed and they are nearly full with all the rain we've had lately. I had compfrey in my plot but it got invasive as was the sort that chucked seed everywhere. Some still comes up, so that's going in the water butts and is beginning to whiff a bit! There's enough in there to feintly colour the water now, so I reckon it's good stuff.
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
                  I recently rigged up 2 new 200L water butts to my lottie shed and they are nearly full with all the rain we've had lately. I had compfrey in my plot but it got invasive as was the sort that chucked seed everywhere. Some still comes up, so that's going in the water butts and is beginning to whiff a bit! There's enough in there to feintly colour the water now, so I reckon it's good stuff.
                  It's a shame to do it, but that kind of comfrey needs to be cut back hard as soon as it starts to flower, that reduces the re-seeding. If you never allow flowers you eventually have no comfry though.

Comment

I have just drawn off some pressed comfrey juice and refilled the pipe that I use for the press, I have put the old comfrey into the compost bin but does it count as a green addition to the compost or is it brown?
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                      I have just drawn off some pressed comfrey juice and refilled the pipe that I use for the press, I have put the old comfrey into the compost bin but does it count as a green addition to the compost or is it brown?
                      I would guess thats a green still. I'd further guess that the quantity is small enough in proportion to your compost making not to make that much difference.
                      Again the mixing process with compost is not entirely scientific for us mere mortals. I usually make any needed amendment to the composition when/if I turn the heap and find it needs more brown because it's slimmy, more green because it's all harn lumps, or more water because it's like a thatched roof or that blue green grass clippings with a dry white powder coat.

I do like your idea of a tube to press comfrey, is that a length of soil pipe? Consider that idea stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                        Comfrey will always be a "green", even if dry and crispy. It's nitrogen content is too high and its fibre content too low to ever be a "brown".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X