No announcement yet.

Small parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about bonkers, we only do it because we learnt from experience in growing our own, that the middle was very woody after being roasted. As I said before, we will retry it without cutting the middle out.
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

maybe you should try a different variety???

Comment

Grow a different one every year actually. I can't remember what the
        original woody one was now.
        "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Hi womble. Just thought I'd offer a little solidarity. I more often than not, although not always, take out the middle bit from parsnips. The only reason I do this is because that is what I was taught to do. Must confess that on the occasions that I couldn't be bothered the middle bit did soften up when cooked.

Guess I do it more from force of habit than anything else.

By the way, I grow Avon Resister and Gladiator. Usually get good big roots. Excellent eating.
          It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

My OH only uses about 3 layers of an onion and peels away each bit of papery stuff in between, he throws the rest away. He doesn't know why - I think he was told to once and so he does it every time - he's bonkers as well.

Psychology has a lot to answer for...

Comment

Womble you could save all the middles for soup, once the parsnips have been cooked and puréed they shouldn't taste woody at all.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X