Blackfly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackfly

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere or I’ve put it in the wrong place.

Broad beans, doing well, the dreaded ‘blackfly’ arrived the other day, I’ve sprayed them with a homemade spray of garlic and chillI, well in fact today I emptied the bottle over the, cos spray wouldn’t work! But I don’t think it’s working!

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Don’t really want to use chemicals

Pinch out the tips. It's the soft new growth they love. Alternatively just keep blasting them off with water.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I use a mix of garlic and Encover washing up liquid mix plus pinching out the tops. Try adding something soapy it helps when you’re squishing them.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Squash them.

Originally posted by peanut View Post
        Pinch out the tips. It's the soft new growth they love. Alternatively just keep blasting them off with water.
        So people say, but my broadbeans are inundated with them, despite me going around and squashing all I can twice a week. Some plants are strangely untouched, but the ones that are infested are covering the entire top 6 inches of stem, and on the flower stalks, and some on the petals themselves, and on the developing pods (only the small ones, mind. The bigger ones must be too tough).

Comment

I’ve pinched the tops off, sprayed them with water, squashed some ( yuk), and sprayed with garlic spray!

maybe I’ll try a soapy spray.

have also picked what are ready to eat!

Comment

That's one of the reasons why I don't grow broad beans every year, it takes me while to recover from the horror...
            I wash them off with the hose, and then spray with soapy water. But the blackfly keep coming back with a vengeance.

Comment

The blackfly have moved off my broad beans (well actually I pulled them all up) onto the Dwarf French Beans and Courgettes. Blackfly seem particularly bad this year. They're on my tomatoes as well except they get trapped by the tomato tar and die without seeming to do much damage

Comment

I have the same problem. I've heard that overwintering broad beans are less likely to be affected, but I've never had success with those because my soil is too heavy. And pinching out the tips doesn't seem practical when so much of the plant is affected.

I am even reluctant to use soap sprays as there are a lot of ladybirds on them - although sadly they don't seem to be making much of a dent in the aphid population. Does anyone know if the soap sprays are harmful to ladybirds and their larvae?

Comment

Soap is harmful to the beneficial insects,it’s good you’ve got ladybirds. Overwintered beans are a bit earlier,they can get some good growth before the black aphid appear. They could be started in pots.

Comment

The ladybirds will eat the aphids, but may not make much of a difference if you have a large infestation. The difficulty is killing the aphids without killing the ladybirds. one thing I have tried with whitefly, which sort of worked, was spraying the worst affected leaves with water that had boiled potatoes (cooled obviously). The starch from the potatoes apparently dries out the soft bodies of the insects. I have no idea if it would kill ladybirds, which have a harder outer coating (exoskeleton). It was tricky to do - a normal sprayer is quickly clogged with potato so I ended up putting the water in a pop bottle and sloshing it onto the plants. It did seem to reduce what was a huge infestation of whitefly nymphs.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

My sympathies. They are particularly bad this year. I've never found a way to stop them other than meticulously smearing them off every day. Funnily enough it's my climbing french beans that have become infested with them. This muggy weather has really encouraged a lot of pests and I don't see many ladybirds or their larvae to clean up. There's also a lot of beet leaf miner here in London.
                      Last edited by Jeremy424; 19-06-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I have blackfly on my patio cherry tree but not sure whether these are the same blackfly as on beans?
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          I have blackfly on my patio cherry tree but not sure whether these are the same blackfly as on beans?
                          They are not the same species.
                          The so-called black bean aphid will feed on many different species, not just beans, but cherries are attacked by their own special type of black aphid, the cherry blackfly.

Comment

I wonder if killing the ants in the area would help.

David

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post

They are not the same species.
                              The so-called black bean aphid will feed on many different species, not just beans, but cherries are attacked by their own special type of black aphid, the cherry blackfly.
                              I realise that now. I googled it after posting.
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X