First year asparagus

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First year asparagus

Hello. I have just joined and this is my first post.

A few weeks ago, I carefully prepared a bed for asparagus and then planted some roots which I bought online. The soil is good and well-drained and I have been watering it every couple of days. All the wisdom seems to suggest that it will take three years before I produce an edible crop.

The asparagus starting growing immediately and within a week every root was spouting. So far so good. I am now unsure of what to do though. Over the first two years, do I just leave it to grow and grow, cutting them down for the first time in the autumn? Or do I cut them off at the base when they get to a certain height (i.e. as if I were growing a third year crop)? They are growing at a crazy rate and would make a good hedge.

Yes...just leave it to do it's thing this year then cut it back when it's died back.
    The first year is all about root growth.
    If it's really windy and blowing the ferns around you could put up a post at either end of the run and a couple of runs of twine going from one end to the other on both sides just to hold them steady.
    Some blowing about actually helps promote root growth .

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh...and how rude of me!
      Welcome to the Vine
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse