No compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No compost

I have now used up all avaliable compost and there is no home made compost ready, and I will be needing to pot on quite a number of plants so I have now riddled some garden soil and rather than trying to sterilise it I have filled 8 seed trays which I will leave for a time then pick out t any seedlings that will have germinated, if it looks clear enough I will also sow some veg seeds but thought I would ask others what they are doing
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

You not near a supermarket? If you have a car many have had in stock.

I was a bit fed up as large bags too big for my trolley and the bus!
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I’ve been using two year old compost in bags down the side of the house for my potato tubs & bags. Compost I know hasn’t been used for tomatoes (looking at last years photos,what was planted where) I’m planting tomatoes & peppers in. Pots I planted tomatoes in,I’ll plant cucumbers & climbing courgette etc. I did get 2 bags of compost from tesco a few weeks ago,that’s what I’m using for sowing the seeds. I did think about baking some old compost to sterilise like you say,I would if needed,even on an outside BBQ at the end of eating. Garden centres have opened here,I haven’t been but my sister did go,not on the first day she thought that would be busy,you can order compost from wickes I think?

Comment

What veg seeds are they because when you sow direct weedings done once the seedlings have germinated,you could sow now rather than wait?

Comment

SWMBO went on facebook and found a local garden centre that was doing deliveries, is there none near you?

Comment

I never buy compost. The stuff they have here is expensive and rubbish. A mix of sieved garden soil home made compost and sand works fine. Add a bit of general purpose fertilizer and I don’t seem to have many weeds germinate.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

The nearest big store is 7 miles from me but OH is in high risk category and the last 5ime I was in a shop I had some words with someone who came and stood right at my side so to save any problems I am now self isolating, I have been told that a nearby nursery doing home delivery shortly so hopefully I can get some compost soon but I will give the soil a go to see how it goes, after all a few years ago there were no bags of compost to buy and people made their own seed compost from soil and burn (river) sand with a of course leaf mould
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Soil from mole hills used to be a favourite too.

Comment

Yeh people seem to be getting a bit lax in shops now, loads coming too close when I was shopping yesterday

Comment

The other alternative might be to phone in an order and pay for it over the phone...then go and collect it at a prearranged time?
                    If you explained the high risk problem they may well oblige ??
                    Apparently that's what was happening over here. Peeps just stayed in the car and it was loaded into the boot by the staff.
                    its just a thought.....
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have been to lidl,Aldi, Morrisoms,Poundland, B&Q and a local Grden Centre this morning and no compost to be had.

First it was toilet rolls and now its compost!

I finished up buying 5 X 10 litres bags from a local hardware shop at
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X