Anyone grown cucumber Tasty King?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone grown cucumber Tasty King?

I've been given one and not sure if I will need to remove male flowers?
    Northern England.

It says it’s an all female type on the unwins site seed packet,so I would remove any male flowers. Haven’t grown it before,it sounds tasty

Comment

Ok thanks Jane .
      I hope so . I'm growing mini munch for mum and a substitute pkt for one I couldnt get. It's called bush champion I think .
      Last edited by Containergardener; 24-05-2020, 06:28 PM.
      Northern England.

Comment

Ok so the Tasty King is growing well, however the fruits are forming but coming to nothing. Turning yellow and not growing.
        Help
        Northern England.

Comment

Could it be a pollination issue. Sounds like what happens sometimes with courgettes if they don’t get pollinated properly.

Comment

Is it the first cucumbers low down in the stem,I usually cut the first couple off because the same thing happens,let the ones further up the plant grow on.

Comment

Yes Jane they were the first two.
              Northern England.

Comment

That always happens to me,there will be the others that start growing normally,it always seems like there’s too many for the plant to cope with so the plant abandons some.

Comment

Ok..thanks Jane . Shall I keep removing the males?
                  Northern England.

Comment

I would be removing the male flowers,it says it’s an F1 female only on that site,male flowers pollinating can make them taste bitter is what I know about them. Marketmore variety you leave the male flowers on,outdoor ridge cucumbers,they’re not F1.

Comment

Northern England.

Comment

Is it still next to the bush champion plant,if it is I’d move the bush champion outside with maybe fleece around for a week or so overnight. But,how long is the cucumber,it looks like a cucumber that’s been on the vine too long & bitterness builds up? Or could it have been pollinated by a Male from the bush champion & it’s seeds are causing that. I hope someone else joins in because I’ve never seen this happen?

Comment

No flowers on bush champion so not that. They've only just got to size then the brown started.
                          I tasted it. It wasnt bitter just not very nice, earthy OH said. Had much nicer. It went in the bin today.
                          Thanks anyway.
                          Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X