No announcement yet.

Tiger Nuts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tiger nuts have come along with the rest of seed.

Jasky did you ever get a reply?

Going to soak my nuts and get my wheelbarrows ready for them tomorrow. Sparrow, did you soak yours and if so, for how long?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
      My tiger nuts have come along with the rest of seed.

Jasky did you ever get a reply?

Going to soak my nuts and get my wheelbarrows ready for them tomorrow. Sparrow, did you soak yours and if so, for how long?
      Waaaay too much information.....................
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sparrow, did you soak yours and if so, for how long?
        48 hours. Has worked for at least one, which is 100% more tiger nut germination than last year.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Going to soak my nuts and get my wheelbarrows ready for them tomorrow.
          Blummin 'eck, Jay-ell - how big are they? (said VC, deliberately ignoring Snadger's comments above)

Are they from real tigers?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Blummin 'eck, Jay-ell - how big are they? (said VC, deliberately ignoring Snadger's comments above)

Are they from real tigers?
            There's two of them.

About 4 foot long and purple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_27669-wheelbarrow1770464136.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	2372657

As alot of sites say they are invasive I'm planting them in these this year. It's possible that the "invasive" bit is from tubers left in the ground regrowing like JAs rather than rhizomes like bamboo but better safe than sorry.

Looking forward to growing these as I haven't had them since I was a kid.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Growth Inhibitors

The Plants For A Future page has a readers comment that suggests the tubers have a growth inhibitor in the skin which needs to be leached away before they will germinate.

Cyperus esculentus Tiger Nut, Yellow nutsedge, Nut Grass PFAF Plant Database

I'm changing the soak water once or twice a day and swirling the nuts about to try and wash this off (if it exists). Sparrow, did you change the soak water at all with yours? (You're our resident expert as you've germinated more tubers than anyone else )

This site says the same

http://www.agmrc.org/media/cms/13_4_...B3593075A9.pdf

Tubers regularly survive winter conditions whereas aerial shoots, basal bulbs, and rhizomes rarely survive from one growing season to the next. Tubers can remain dormant for up to 3.5 years. Dormancy is broken by leaching of a growth inhibitor (abscisic acid) from tubers or by physical damage to tubers.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Today I noticed little bits of green in my wheelbarrows. OK, alot of them are weed seedlings but some of them are the tiger nuts shoots poking up.

There's about 50 percent up - 10 in one wheelbarrow and 5 in the other. I'm quite chuffed.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I never got any replies from the supplier so will have to wait until next year. Will see how everyone gets in here with growing them.
                  Gardening blog http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

That's a shame. But thanks for reminding me about them, it gives my wheelbarrows purpose.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by jasyk34 View Post
                      I never got any replies from the supplier so will have to wait until next year. Will see how everyone gets in here with growing them.
                      Not that it is much help to you, as I have no idea why you are not getting a response. I e-mailed on Sat. 20th May, got a response on Thurs. 25th May saying they were away till the Tuesday so seeds would be sent Wed. and they arrived yesterday.

Comment

How far apart have you set them? About 90% of mine have now germinated and I have shoved them into 2 tubs but I wonder if they are a bit crowded - 18 to a 40L tub and the rest in a 20L pot.

PS they look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tiger nuts in pot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	2372862

Comment

I've 15 to a wheelbarrow in 3 rows of 5. Not sure what the spacing should be.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Was wondering about that - I think mine might be too close.

Comment

And oh lordy - I've just found a recommendation to plant a foot apart. Am going to have to rethink!

https://goingtoseed.wordpress.com/20...17/chufa-nuts/

Comment

I think I'll leave mine with the spacing that they have. There are two old abandoned wheelbarrows outside the plot next to the gate, but I don't have any burgundy paint and they wouldn't fit in unpainted, plus I'd have to figure out where to put them.

The only other option would be one plant per toilet/cistern and that'll take up a lot of compost. The baths full of the JAs this year.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X