Seed Potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Potatoes

I was wondering when garden centres have seed potatoes? None round here have any yet, will they be there from December?

Also, does anyone reccomend buying from any certain place, be it catalogue or shop?

Ta muchly!!
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Bit early yet Jenegade! Usually well into the new year before you see them for sale!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm off to get all mine from a Potato day in January - can't wait.

Comment

Hello Jenegade, December will be very early for seed potatoes and it might be later than that before you can find any.
        They hold a Tattie Fayre in Dunblane (January I think) where you can buy seed potatoes. It's very good if you want to buy some in small quantities to try a particular variety.
        But think about this. You live in Scotland and that's where all the seed potatoes come from as they are disease free. If you bought supermarkets potatoes from a Scottish grower (look for grown in Tayside on the bag) you would be safe enough if you can find the variety you want. I never grow maincrops, they are so cheap in the shops. I go for early potatoes - better for price and flavour.
        Might see you at Dunblane.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Most of the Scottish garden centres start to stock them in the new year.
          We are starting to send potatoes down to Devon and Cornwall next week and then everyone wants them.
          Garden centre's are wanting them a week earlier every year now to beat their competition.
          Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
            I was wondering when garden centres have seed potatoes? None round here have any yet, will they be there from December?

Also, does anyone reccomend buying from any certain place, be it catalogue or shop?

Ta muchly!!
            and if you only want a few of some varieties, then i can highly recommend tattiemans website....i'll be getting mine from him in the new year when i get back from Oz.
            Finding Home

Comment

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
              and if you only want a few of some varieties, then i can highly recommend tattiemans website....i'll be getting mine from him in the new year when i get back from Oz.
              Cheers for that it is nice of you to say.
              Hope you have a good time over there.
              Potato videos here.

Comment

Originally posted by tattieman View Post
                Most of the Scottish garden centres start to stock them in the new year.
                We are starting to send potatoes down to Devon and Cornwall next week and then everyone wants them.
                Garden centre's are wanting them a week earlier every year now to beat their competition.
                Our local garden centre looks like Santa's Grotto just now so I suppose they won't have anywhere to display them until after Crimbo!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks! For some reason I thought garden centres started selling them earlier! Will look out in the new year.

Thanks for that tip Alice, definitely want to visit the tattie fayre in Dunblane, will try and find out when it is!

And you're website does look quite good for ordering seed potatoes too Tattieman!

Is it best to try growing several different types of potatoes then, different varieties of earlies, second earlies etc.?

Comment

Alice - found some information about the Dunblane Potato Fayre you mentioned:

28th february 2009: Victoria Halls, Station Rd, Dunblane 10am - 3pm. 40-50 varieties for sale either individually or 3kg bags + onions, shallots & garlic. Advice and seeds sales from Alan Romans, author of The Potato Book. Organised by Dunblane & District Gardening Club in Association with Dunblane Allotment Group. Refreshments (Soup, Stovies, Teas & Scones) provided by Dunblane Museum Appeal Fund.

Cant wait!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenegade View Post
                      Is it best to try growing several different types of potatoes then, different varieties of earlies, second earlies etc.?
                      yes.
                      different varieties do different things ... some are good for mashing, roasting or boiling, for example.
                      Some have more or less disease resistance. And so on.
                      Do a little bit of research before you buy: Potato Varieties - Potato Council
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've noted the Fayre in my diary Jenegade. Maybe we could have a Grape's convention there. We had one 2 years ago.
                        Romans seeds were very good - 50p per packet and it was great for getting potatoes in small quantities to try out the varieties.
                        Thank you for checking out the information.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for the link Two sheds, think I'll go to the Potato fayre and buy several different types, that way I can have some for mashing, steaming and boiling!

A Grapes convention sounds good Alice, and 50p for seeds sounds excellent too, cant wait 'til the fayre!!

Comment

Thanks 2 Sheds - a great place to start choosing
                            The law will hang the man or woman
                            Who steals the goose from off the common
                            But lets the greater thief go loose
                            Who steals the common from the goose
                            http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts