help, i think everythings dead :(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help, i think everythings dead :(

i've just looked out the window .... everythings all frozen ....... all my veggies have wilted ....... poor little things look so sad ....... will they recover? i knew i should have covered them sooner, i managed to get the polytunnel and a cloche up in the back yesterday, but the front garden stuff didn't have any cover ...... onions, swedes, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, and turnips leaves are all laying on the ground

I still have salad leaves in the ground
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

me too, in the back next to the pond, i haven't even looked at them,

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
        i've just looked out the window .... everythings all frozen ....... all my veggies have wilted ....... poor little things look so sad ....... will they recover? i knew i should have covered them sooner, i managed to get the polytunnel and a cloche up in the back yesterday, but the front garden stuff didn't have any cover ...... onions, swedes, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, and turnips leaves are all laying on the ground
        These should be fine as they're indigenous to this country.
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Yer parsnips will actually have benefitted from the frost!!Makes'm sweeter!
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

thanks, i think they are all native, will they perk up then? or spend the rest of the winter flat out ..... is it worth covering them today, or will that just turn cloches into big fridges?

it's weird my yucca plant is fine lol ..... he's very native now

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
              Yer parsnips will actually have benefitted from the frost!!Makes'm sweeter!
              oooooooo me likes sweet parsnips they aren't very big though, nowhere near as big as the ones in the back garden.

Comment

Yep, winter's here! Serious ice overnight here.

My Xmas potatoes were in the greenhouse - but the plastic over the roof split, and it all caved in overnight - hard frost - done them in Luckily, my peppers seem unscathed, as is the lemon balm - there was nothing else in there that wasn't due to be cleared out soon anyway - phew. Got some green gaffer tape from B&Q and fixed the GH up. Fingers crossed that the rest of the cover doesn't fall apart the next time there is a frost or a breath of wind or something. Grrrr. Might have to revise my ideas about relying on it overwinter / early spring at this rate...

Meanwhile, amazingly, everything outside seems to have survived, even the sunflowers. I was expecting the winter pansies that I have only just planted out as little babies to have struggled but they look great. Beetroot, turnips, carrots, chard, spinach all happy too, as are the onions, swede, sprouts and broccoli.
                Last edited by Demeter; 29-10-2008, 08:00 PM.
                Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

my banana tree looks dead gutted, i grew it from a little tiny shoot, i was debating whether to bring it in, but we don't normally get frost yet, so i'd put it off.

i guess it's a bit late, but i picked up some fleece from wilkies today, hopefully it won't be so cold tonight, and i can get some over the plants tomorrow ...... too dark to do anything now

i'm a bit fed up that all my squash, courgettes and pumpkins look very dead now too, had a look in the tunnel, is annoying, the squash had only just started fruiting ....... though i've had loads of courgettes.
                  Last edited by lynda66; 29-10-2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Lynda, your swedes, turnips and parsnips will be just fine and all the better for a frosting. They will stand in the ground all winter if needs be.
                    Sorry but your squash, courgettes and pumpkins have had it - and I don't think fleece would have helped them. It's just past their time of year.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

will they need the fleece over them?? they still looked very floppy this afternoon even after a bit of sun

i'm still quite pleased i got so many courgettes, and got to try a couple of squash ...... i'll be sure to plant them earlier next year

Comment

If you're asking about the swedes etc lynda then NO they won't need any fleece. It doesn't matter if the top growths floppy, the roots will be fine and sweet and tasty.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

ok, thanks Alice i feel much happier now

Comment

It's Winter now and the first sentence of this post says how to handle that.
                            "i've just looked out the window"
                            Sit in your arm chair and perform proper winter gardening tasks thus:-
                            1) Look out the window and think , must get in the garden "tomorrow".
                            2) Watch gardening programs on TV.
                            3) Read garden forums on the web (doing that now!)
                            4) Read books and catalogues and plan for next year.
                            5) Decide on a new project or plant style for next year.
                            6) Keep your digging arm supple by lifting a few heavy glasses of beer. ( Or your own tipple, wine bottles are quite heavy!)

Any one got any other "indoor winter gardening tasks"
                            Jim
                            Last edited by Jimmy; 01-11-2008, 05:15 AM.
                            Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                              It's Winter now and the first sentence of this post says how to handle that.
                              "i've just looked out the window"
                              Sit in your arm chair and perform proper winter gardening tasks thus:-
                              1) Look out the window and think , must get in the garden "tomorrow".
                              2) Watch gardening programs on TV.
                              3) Read garden forums on the web (doing that now!)
                              4) Read books and catalogues and plan for next year.
                              5) Decide on a new project or plant style for next year.
                              6) Keep your digging arm supple by lifting a few heavy glasses of beer. ( Or your own tipple, wine bottles are quite heavy!)

Any one got any other "indoor winter gardening tasks"
                              Jim

I like your style Jim. I find lifting the big tin of Quality Street helps my arm muscles, while sorting through my seed boxes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X