lavender

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lavender

I have managed to dry all of our lavender and jar it up. what can i do to make it smell when left in pots around the place? if you rub it, it stinks of lav. but when it's just sat their it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks

I think the idea is to 'fluff' it up as you pass by! At least that is what I have always believed. The synthetic stuff smells so strong because it is synthetic!

In the back of my brain I seem to recall that Orris Root powder fixes the perfume so that it does not fade! Earthbabe will probably know!

Comment

How about soaking it in a carrier oil & using an oil burner, we used to have loads of them at one time (don't know what happened to them).
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

but then you need to leave it buring all the time to get the nice smell.,

Comment

We always did ! Couple of old hippies at heart (old age travellers )
          ntg

Comment

what can i say.LOL

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
              We always did ! Couple of old hippies at heart (old age travellers )
              Sad to say I've re-discovered Spiritual Sky incense (I blame ebay!) - perhaps I should be looking to growing my own???

Whenever a package arrives our postman enquires how our 'home-grown stuff' is? I'm hope he means veggies, but maybe not! I keep telling him its veggies.....
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Maybe he's after a sample for his Christmas box? LOL
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If it is already dried your best bet is to fix the perfume as suggested by Squirrel and "fluff" up or run your fingers through. I have bundles of dry lavender hanging round the house (not at 4 year old level though) some of which have been there for a couple of years with no fixative. They still release the scent of lavender when brushed past. Mmmmmm.

Maybe I should change my name?

It can be infused but dry lavender doesn't work that well or at least not as well as fresh. Alternatively you could (and this is just a thought I have not tried it) gently melt some coconut oil and cocoa butter over a low heat. Add lavender flowers so you have a thick mix. The lavender will obviously absorb some of the oil. You do not want it too dry. Shape into a ball or tablet. Place in an infuser or even better get hold of an aromastone which is electric and can be safely left on all the time. The coconut oil and cocoa butter have very low melting points (which is why they are so good for skin use they melt at body temperature) and will melt very gently on the aromastone hopefully releasing the aroma of lavender flowers. In fact I might try it.

Lavender can also be used on Charcoal burners. You can make a container to place one of the rounds on with an old earthenware pot, sand to weight it down and pea gravel on the top if liked. Then light and add the dry flower heads. You can add any dried herb if you like. Juniper berries, rosemary and sage are quite traditional. You can use the same method for resins or gums but only use small amounts to start with as these smoke a huge amount.

Enjoy
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Lots of recipes for cooking with it in one of the mags a little while back (either this one, it's competitor or else Country Kitchen)

Comment

Lavender cake hmmmmmmmmmmm
                      ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                        Lavender cake hmmmmmmmmmmm
                        Toblerone mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Lots of lavender recipes in ...unsurprisingly titled....The Lavender Cookbook by Sharon Shipley. published by running press. It includes things like a lavender wet rub, lavender sugar and syrup as basics and then proceeds to the staples on a seasonal basis including Lavender raspberry and blackberry cream tart, Spiced lavender walnuts, lavender honey custard ice cream and for those that need a chocolate hit lavender devil's food cake. mmmmmmm
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

Comment

Oe eer - I like the sounds of the wet rub
                            ntg

Comment

Why am I not surprised ntg?
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X