My chillis are black

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My chillis are black

I know October is the new September, but my chillis (Joe's Long) which are being grown outside are not ripe.

They are about 4" long and half green/half black - the black isn't rot, it's just pigment.

Will they go red, ever. Do I just pick them in their current colours (Plymouth Argyle would love them)?
    Nell

I have a pepper that is black and green at the moment, I am just leaving it to see, its on a sunny windowsill.

I did have chillies that went black before they went red this year, so there is hope.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

some of mine are going black - but I'm eating them before they have a chance to go red and I'm still here to tell the tale .........
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

OK, I will closely monitor the weather and scoop them up before the first frost (hopefully). The peppers grown with them are the size of my thumbnail and doooooombed.
        Nell

Comment

Not all chillies go red. Depending on variety their colour may vary from red to black (and as the breeders get into it there will be even more colours of the rainbow). You can use chillies at any stage from green to ripe whatever colour that may be.

Comment

Originally posted by nelliegemini View Post
            OK, I will closely monitor the weather and scoop them up before the first frost (hopefully). The peppers grown with them are the size of my thumbnail and doooooombed.
            well i have some peppers just starting, thumbnail size like yours, same windowsill, so i shall just leave them and see what happens, at least that way i will know for next time
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
              well i have some peppers just starting, thumbnail size like yours, same windowsill, so i shall just leave them and see what happens, at least that way i will know for next time
              My peppers are in a large terracotta pot against a south facing wall, but outside in the garden, next to my chillies and my tomatoes (and spookily my passion flower which now has orange fruits). I will leave everything for as long as possible. Goodnight all - OH is just watching video on the programme Brass, must give it full attention - quote 'It's how southerners think northeners are', watch and learn Jamie
              Nell

Comment

Originally posted by nelliegemini View Post
                Goodnight all - OH is just watching video on the programme Brass, must give it full attention - quote 'It's how southerners think northeners are', watch and learn Jamie
                Well that was fun - I'd forgotten how much fun.
                Nell

Comment

Your chillies are just ripening Nellie. You can use them now or wait for them all to go red. It's late in the year and if they are outside - well - they could get frosted before it happens.
                  I cut mine and use some fresh and freeze the rest for use over winter as stuffed and roasted, in chillies and curries. It's up to yourself.

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

My Cayenne (from ShirltheGirl) have all gone green-brown-black-red.
                    I've just brought them indoors because it's down to 10 degrees at night now.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I know it is strange.

Green peppers go from green to black then red or whatever the ripe colour.

It used to freak me out big style .
                      Please have a look at my Veg Growing Diary.

allotment-diary.co.uk

Thanks.

Comment

Well, know I know black is OK and not some lurgy, I will leave them until the day before the first frost. Well the day frost is forecast - you know what I mean

Thanks for all the advice.
                        Nell

Comment

Growing the same and had one plant indoors which went immediatley from green to red. The plant outside went green to deep purply black. They also curled up a lot more than the ones inside. I hope its normal as ive eaten loads of em now!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X