Potato Times

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Times

I know that someone has posted this before because I remember reading it (but I can't find it now).
    Can someone give a very quick overview of how long Potato's should take to grow.
    Early
    2nd early
    Main

Also any advise on what type to go for next year.
    It was my first year of veg growing this year and loved it so much I have got myself an allotment. I plan on using 39 feet by 20 feet on potato's (quick question will this be far to much? OH eats about 4 large potato's a day and I eat about 2) and the rest of the 81 foot on other bits and bobs

Earlies around 10wks
    2nd earlies 10-12 weeks
    Maincrop about 14-16 weeks

These are average figures & can go a bit either way. As to yeild, you can work on somewhere between 2 & 4 kg of tatties per 1m of row so if your rows are 20ft (6m roughly) & you know how many rows you can get that 'll give you a rough idea. Maincrop tend to crop heavier than earlies.

If you want a hand little sheet theres one on the starters page of out lottie website (below) called "planner" just to the left of my snail
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the info about the planner Nick. I've just printed it off and very useful it is.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks for the planner it's great. Everything I need to plan for next year.

Comment

Thanks Nick,

I could have used this a few monthe ago, planted everything at the wrong time! I will be better for next year.

Mandy

Comment

Thanks Nick, that will come in handy for next year.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Potato Varieties

Like Silverfox, I too am looking foar recommended varieties to grow next year.

This year I grew Red Duke of York as a first early and Kestrel as a second early. Both crops grew well without any problems but I was disappointed with the yield & size of the potatoes.

Any tips on variety or tricks to get bigger spuds would be welcomed.

For info, They were grown in deep beds in a mixture of sandy soil and compost.

Comment

Thanks for the planner Nick; being new at all this veggie growing it's just what me and the planning department, or the wife, needed. I enjoyed the rest of the site as well.
                Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Thanks Nick, even though I only have a small garden to plant up the planner will come in handy.
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X