Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My garlic has arrived....when should i plant?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My garlic has arrived....when should i plant?

Well my Suttons seeds garlic arrived today and i'm wondering whether i should put it in now or wait for a few weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many Thanks

D

P.S they are Solent Wight Bulbs.
    www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
    www.outofthecool.com
    http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Get 'em in!!

Comment

I have mine in the ground now.
      Mark

http://www.mhdigital.co.uk This is my photographic website

Comment

Mine have been in over a week now, is the bed ready rain forcast for sunday

Comment

pretty much ready yes, I'm debating whether to put them next to my onions or dig over where the squash was and stick them there instead. I still have a cucumber producing well outside so i'm reluctant to dig in too close at the moment but i've got to manure the beds anyway.

Hmmmm I forsee planting in the rain on sunday.......i guess i won't have to water things in!
          www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
          www.outofthecool.com
          http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

I put 4 cloves in a week or so ago, they are have inch tall shoots on them now, they are in pots in the greenhouse.
            Vive Le Revolution!!!
            'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
            Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

Mines in! Put it in last weekend when I took some cabbages out!

A barrowload of muck added and in they went! 40 cloves from three bulbs.

Last year I started mine in pots but I found that when i lifted it the roots had hardly grown at all, so this time I have planted directly into soil!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                Mines in! Put it in last weekend when I took some cabbages out!

A barrowload of muck added and in they went! 40 cloves from three bulbs.

Last year I started mine in pots but I found that when i lifted it the roots had hardly grown at all, so this time I have planted directly into soil!
                ouch, I thought they were supposed to do better started in pots, oh well, I will give em a month and then see.
                Vive Le Revolution!!!
                'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

my garlic has just arrived and mine to is solent wight. It says on the instructions to plant october to december or in the spring whenever that is.
                  some for pots ad some for the allotment as i have nether grown this before.
                  a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
                    ouch, I thought they were supposed to do better started in pots, oh well, I will give em a month and then see.
                    It could have had something to do with not knowing I had onion white rot in the area it was planted in as well!

Try some potted, some direct planted, then you can draw your own conclusions!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine arrived the other day but I'm waiting until after I get back from hols to plant so will be at some point in the second half of October... probably the first nice day when I havent got to go to work!
                      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Mine are going in on Sunday. Save any wood ash to sprinkle about them come the spring and sprinkle it as thick as you like.

Comment

Originally posted by BrideXIII View Post
                          I put 4 cloves in a week or so ago, they are have inch tall shoots on them now, they are in pots in the greenhouse.
                          I grew garlic some years ago for several seasons, in pots and in the ground, and never a bother, they came up trumps every time. However, this year and last, they've been woeful, small and watery, unusable in fact, both in the ground and in pots. I thought maybe these two very wet summers did for them, but I'm not sure.

Now I've put some more down in pots and - in contrast to yours, BrideXIII, they don't seem to be doing anything. If anyone has any helpful hints I'd be delighted to get them - I (used to) love my home-grown garlic.
                          Last edited by maytreefrannie; 04-10-2008, 09:57 PM.
                          My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

my solent wight went into my raised bed yesterday before the rain came
                            my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

I'm hoping to get my solent wight planted out today before the rain comes
                              Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X