Crop Rotation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyway back on topic lol
    AKA - BigMatt over at Chillis Galore......

Comment

The cane was forbidden whilst I was at school~so our teacher used to give the slipper!!~that & creep up behind you & bang your head on the table!!Many a lad would get nasty nosebleeds!!I escaped with just a bruise on my forehead from getting the country dancing wrong..my partner had a matching one!!
      Back on topic!Not being a highly organised gardener I tend to rely on my memory & pretty much as Snadger says make sure & not plant like where like were the previous year!!Every year I start off with the intention of doing it all properly & no doubt will give it a go next year,but so far(touch wood)it's been adequate.
      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Ooh No! We just got 'the silent treatment' in the Convent School that I went to! which was FAR worse than The Cane!

...and as far as Crop Rotation is concerned, sometimes, if you get it a bit muddled up, no-one is going to kill you for getting it wrong... so don't lose sleep over it at all.

Crop Rotation IS important, in order to prevent plant or insect-related diseases etc. affecting your produce year after year, and it's hugely advisable and beneficial if you can rotate your crops.

Keeping a notebook is a great idea, because with everything going on during a growing season, it's very easy, when the soil is bare after harvesting, to forget what was planted where. Then, during the winter months, you can plan ahead as to what will be planted where next year, without putting the same kind of crop in the same place.

I'm no expert, but if you have Broad Beans growing somewhere late Spring/early Summer, try and follow them with a Brassica crop, as the bean roots fix nitrogen into the soil, and the Brassicas are greedy nitrogen-hungry plants.
        That's the kind of 'why' to rotate crops too.
        Hope we're all 'helping' ?!
        X

Comment

Ooh No! We just got 'the silent treatment' in the Convent School that I went to! which was FAR worse than The Cane!

...and as far as Crop Rotation is concerned, sometimes, if you get it a bit muddled up, no-one is going to kill you for getting it wrong... so don't lose sleep over it at all.

Crop Rotation IS important, in order to prevent plant or insect-related diseases etc. affecting your produce year after year, and it's hugely advisable and beneficial if you can rotate your crops.

Keeping a notebook is a great idea, because with everything going on during a growing season, it's very easy, when the soil is bare after harvesting, to forget what was planted where. Then, during the winter months, you can plan ahead as to what will be planted where next year, without putting the same kind of crop in the same place.

I'm no expert, but if you have Broad Beans growing somewhere late Spring/early Summer, try and follow them with a Brassica crop, as the bean roots fix nitrogen into the soil, and the Brassicas are greedy nitrogen-hungry plants.
          That's the kind of 'why' to rotate crops too.
          Hope we're all 'helping' ?!
          X

Comment

No, I can't be bothered to say it three times....
            Don't you just HATE it when that happens to make you look like a right royal plonker?!!
            X

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
              No, I can't be bothered to say it three times....
              Don't you just HATE it when that happens to make you look like a right royal plonker?!!
              X
              Blame technology wellie! The way I understood it, if you posted a similar thing within five minutes it's supposed to block it?

Anyway, with me taking the thread 'off track' and you double posting what was the thread on about.............oh yes, I remember, crop rotation! A very fine thing to be sure, but don't get hung up on it (as has already been mentioned!) Even if you do get mixed up once, it's not the end of the world and as your gardening knowledge increases you can ajust accordingly!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

so, going back on the topic, could I follow pumpkins and squashes with say legumes next year? Mind the pumpkins are taking over the whole allotment and creeping over to next doors at the moment, we are going to be eating many pumpkins over the coming months.

When I was at school we had to stand in the bin and shout "I am a piece of rubbish" in front of the whole class when we had been naughty. It was great for the self esteem I can tell you.
                We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Anything that looks 'cabbagy' shouldn't follow cabbages. (brassicas)
                  Can spring cabbages go in after onions but before sprouts? This bit of rotating in family groups always puzzles me!
                  Julie

Comment

Well guys and guysettes....
                    thaaaaaaaaaank you for the advice and the memories from the past

I have taken (many) notes, and will plan me teeny plot accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderblue View Post
                      so, going back on the topic, could I follow pumpkins and squashes with say legumes next year? Mind the pumpkins are taking over the whole allotment and creeping over to next doors at the moment, we are going to be eating many pumpkins over the coming months.

When I was at school we had to stand in the bin and shout "I am a piece of rubbish" in front of the whole class when we had been naughty. It was great for the self esteem I can tell you.
                      As long as you don't follow them with any of the cucurbits all should be fine!
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
                        Can spring cabbages go in after onions but before sprouts? This bit of rotating in family groups always puzzles me!
                        My onion bed is now full of PSB and savoys.........so yes to the spring cabbage but no to the sprouts which would be brassica following brassica!
                        Last edited by Snadger; 28-09-2008, 05:26 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I was once made to sit in the chapel at school - in the dark at 11pm for 1 hour............
                          (one of many reasons you won't find me in church!!)
                          Tx

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
                            I was once made to sit in the chapel at school - in the dark at 11pm for 1 hour............
                            Just for putting sprouts in after cabbages? That's a bit harsh...

Comment

Originally posted by tootles View Post
                              We used to do things like that for a dare when we were kids!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well now Snadger - proof, if proof were needed indeed.

Tootles, you didn't go to the same Convent School as me did you?!

A group of us got dormitoried (new Wellie-word just invented) in the 'Nuns Enclosure' when they ran out of bed-space on the influx of a new autumn term, and I was mucking about imitating the robot from the Smash Mashed Potato telly advert; 'FOR MASH GET SMASH!', at the top of my voice.

I was only aware that the entire Monday morning Latin Mass had been subjected to my performance when I arrived at the 'Tuck Shop' later that day, and got denied any sweeties etc. for a whole month. AND was denied any 'seconds' of pudding, AND.....
                                Nun Today, Nun Tomorrow. That was my school motto!

Had we finished with Crop Rotation? or should I make another contribution?!
                                Giggle.
                                X

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X