No announcement yet.

Saving F1 seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, no, far from it, it just going to be a surprise, might be rubbish or might be ace, or anything in between...

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
      Now onto the serious~& sorry if I now sound dim!!But from all the above advice I take it that it's not worth saving seed from this years pumpkins if they've been growing close to other varieties?regardless of whether they were F1 or not?
      That's what I take from it. If you want to save seed next year it'll have to be paintbrush time!
      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

yep, unless you aren't bothered what you get, then get new seeds, cos the seeds could produce anything.

Comment

Well there won't be time now to grow any more new fruits from my pumpkins, but might be from the courgettes? Think I'll go and have a look and see if there's any female courgette flowers and I know there's loads of male pumpkin ones ......................... hmmmm fingers crossed
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

one of my courgettes has been producing a couple of weeks, the other has just started today with it's first one, and my pumpkins have only been swelling for just over a week, so i would try with whatever is there, i have just done a patty pan squash with courgette pollen my main problem is too many flipping boy flowers and not enough girls

Comment

No girl flowers on mine either just been to have a look. On the plus side though, one of the pumpkins that got battered with the hailstones a couple of weeks ago, though it's still small for a "Hundredweight" one, is growing in girth about three-quarters to 1 inch a day. It's up to 18" today. Pity about the girl flowers on the courgette though, would have liked to have tried that
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

you may still get some yet, don't give up hope, mine seem to be getting loads of new flowers each day, my pumpkins are hundredweight too, they better get a wriggle on if they are going to be ready for halloween like they are supposed to be

Comment

How about crossing beans and getting a Dwarf French Broad Runner Bean??????!!!!!
                  The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X