No announcement yet.

Broad Bean Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Bean weevil ... not a serious problem, do nothing.

2) you don't stake BBs with individual canes, you put one at each corner of your BB crop and put string around them.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Digger-07 View Post
      I find that an autumn sowing beats the black fly next year. My first batch of 20 seeds went in yesterday and another will go in at the beginning of October and again in November. That way you get the tops as an early spring veg.
      Sorry to be such an ignoramus - but can you eat BB tops as veg? Never heard of it - do you cook them just like other greens?
      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Broad bean tops are delicious!!! Taste just like the beans. I chuck them in stir fry's or steam them. Same can be done with peas too
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
          Hi All,

Going back to my original question do I leave the 2nd 3rd shoots on? If so do I support on different canes?
          How about cutting them off and planting separately, like tomatoes ?
          Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketron View Post
            How about cutting them off and planting separately, like tomatoes ?
            Interesting idea. Would it work? We just left ours on this year and they were fine, got extra beans from them.

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
            Broad bean tops are delicious!!! Taste just like the beans. I chuck them in stir fry's or steam them. Same can be done with peas too
            Hahaha - you wouldn't have wanted to eat ours, infested with the dread b***fly all over them - hopefully there will be some clean ones next year
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
              Hello Folks,

I've planted bb's for the first time and have a question. Some the the beans seem to be generating a 2nd shoot, is this normal, do I cut it back of leave it?

Cheers
              Danny
              Hi Danny, out of interest how long did it take for the shoots to start to show? I followed the instrcutions on my packet but can't help but worry that they were planted too deep (the kids helped)

JD

Comment

Hello JD,

I planted them inside and they grew quite quickly, about 3 - 4 weeks I think. I then planted them out and that's when the other shoots started to appear.

Hope this helps?
                Cheers

Danny

Comment

Yes that helps. Planted mine directly into the soil 2 weeks ago. Not to worry just yet then.

Cheers, JD

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X