Is it only me?????

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it only me?????

The other night i sat down with my seed catalogues and planned my order for next years allotment I was very pleased with my self i find this the best time to plan for next year, while your strengths and failures are still fresh in your mind. So is it just me? or am i behind compaired to some of you?

Hi LTP
    No it's not just you ! I've been researching my market garden and planning what to grow and what varities of which veg. Only difference is now I'm ordering seeds by the kilo, or in batches of 100 or more - but most of the varieties are ones that I have had success in my own garden with. I am still looking for seeds for my own garden too - you cannot buy Cherokee Trail of Tears beans in commercial quantities so they are for the garden only
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm planning too! only I've put my name down for an allotment with a waiting list (only 8 in front of me) and I've been told I may get one in April when people have to renew their rent, but then again I may not! so its kind of hard knowing what area I'm trying to plan!
      Last edited by vicki; 14-08-2006, 06:14 PM.
      smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

gosh no...am impressed by your forward thinking!!
        I don't useually start thinking properly ( well......!!! )!!!! until early December.
        I tend to be very conservative when it comes to changing 'types ' within a veg.
        I always choose charlotte spuds, and at least one guest spud....will be rocket again plus one other I think. (not impressed with Valour this year!)
        Always get Red Alert toms...yet again fantastic this year! but want to get one LJ suggested..(brain dead at moment).
        French beans have always been Golddukket and Delinel (sp???)- always produced well whatever the weather and soil type.
        Cylindria beetroot done best again this year although I see there is a competitor to this now??.
        Love Plenty lettuce and will try others.
        Am open to suggestions for all other veg...have plenty of room....
        Any suggestions for good allrounders??
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos
          For maincrop pots I suggest you give Rooster a go - espesh if you like Roast tatties - none finer - guaranteed. British Queen are a good second early and did well in buckets for me this year - but do not boil them - steam them or they'll go mushy for mash!
          The tomato that LJ mentioned was Ferline - a blight resistant variety that she sang the praises of.
          French Beans - I grew Blue Lake andam well chuffed this year, but am going to tery and gethold of Trail of Tears for next season as loads of grapes raved about it - think Real Seed Company are one possible source - maybe Seeds for Success are another, but Adam is on holiday just now so can't ask him.
          What about peas ? If you want a later climbing variety (by that I mean 6' tall) then try Alderman - have it this year and it's brill
          Anyway, sure that the topic of who is going to grow what and where to get seeds from is a topic that will be the subject of loads of debate from now til next Spring !!
          Last edited by sewer rat; 14-08-2006, 07:16 PM.
          Rat

British by birth

Comment

I like to save most of my serious seed buying investigations until after Christmas when I usually need cheering up and the thought of all those lovely vegetables growing really helps!

Nicos I can recommend Striato de Italio courgettes (from Seeds of Italy) very good flavour, of course prolific and make a good marrow if you miss picking them!

Can't think of too much more as it feels like wishing the summer away.
            Last edited by smallblueplanet; 14-08-2006, 06:53 PM.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks for that....notes taken!
              Agree...will need a new post for this perhaps in time??
              It's an interesting thought though ,as the weather is different every year , it affects which variety comes out best! Is always a good idea to have a cross selection me thinks. Broad beans done the worst ever but will persever as next year could well be the best yet!! Always worth bearing in mind! Reckon after 3 bad years....give up on that variety or crop!!!!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Where are you all getting seed catalogues at this time of the year? Agree with RAt it probably is the best time to think about it ..........BUT NO TIME!

We talked about starting a thread of what types had grown best in North Scotland (given that we have the cold to contend with).
                ~
                Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

How about starting a thread as to what is best in the dry south east as my first early spuds Lady Crystal were a disaster.
                  Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

Cacti KG Click image for larger version

Name:	selen-700.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2317970
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Already got a few in the greenhouse, guess some might be edible !!!
                      Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

Sewer rat were can i get these trail of tears beans? They sound like fun!

Comment

LTP
                          The Real Seed Company had them in this years catalogue but don't know where else. Seeds for Success (Adam) may be able to help but he's on his hols just now - will ask him next time I catch him on the Vine.
                          Rat

British by birth

Comment

Hi LTP - no its not just you! I've just spent a lovely day checking out exactly what seeds my OH had got cheap from work for me, sorting them out and then logging in an unused diary when they could be planted and harvested.....then I added the info from the free booklet with GYO a couple of months ago (the veg growers handbook), so Im trying to get organised and have my own reference book to refer to! The planning of what and where you are going to plant stuff is all part of the fun isnt it? dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Bought most of my seeds for next year in wyevales half price sale!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X