No announcement yet.

When will tomatoes ripen?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must find the recipe because it was one of the better ones I have made!

Comment

My Gartenperl cherry ones are producing which the children love...well my daughter loves! She keeps picking them for me and bringing them in!

My Idil ones (small yellow pear shapped ones) are only just flowering! And my Ailsa Craig ones are still green!

Sorry for horrendous spelling
      Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

My Tumbler & Moneymaker toms are all still green & nowhere near ready to pick but they are outdoors & I was a bit late planting them out this year so I'll have to be patient.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

All my toms are outdoor as well. We are eating Gardeners Delight, Moneymaker and Marmande at the moment with most of the others just on the turn.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

My Gardeners delight are ripening in the garden the ones in the greenhose are about the same but the other two varieties (Cedrico & White beauty) are still green & growing!

They must be about 3" across by now
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

I've been eating my outdoor GYO Gartenpearle since July and very delicious they are. The Gardeners delight are also ready but Marmande, Ailsa Craig and Golden Sunrise are big and green so still something to look forward to.
              I must post a pic of the real Ailsa Craig.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

where are my toms then?

Boy are you lucky! I haven't even got any toms yet, still yellow flowers and not many at that!
                I 'm (optimistically) putting it down to the fact that I live in the North West (poor weather early on) and the fact that its my first time growing them (probably did all the wrong things)
                Im just patiently waiting and keep telling them to sort themselves out and join in !! Yes the neighbours do think ive lost the plot!!

Comment

Don't worry Supersam, they'll get there in the end & you'll have a better idea of what to do next year. Mine were slow to get going this year as well.
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

fingers crossed

Thanks Sue, Im living in hope, spades crossed, etc. I notice you are from M/c, Im in Stockport so perhaps the weather has had a lot to do with it even though they were started off indoors. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I read on one of the threads about cutting off leaves to help ripen toms .....can anyone refresh my memory? thanks! dexterdog
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I have had some ripe garten perle - really delicious roasted, and a few plum Roma that are in the greenhouse. Lots of green tumbler outside that I am waiting for and some big green Costoluto Fiorentino that I can't wait to taste as they are meant to have a lovely flavour.

Just have to be patient I guess.

Comment

Hello Dexterdog, Nor sure what you have read about cutting off leaves, but what I do is remove a few that are obviously in the way or not looking too well during the season. At the end of the season when you are trying to ripen the last of the crop, remove leaves, starting from the bottom and work up. Don't whip them all off in one day. Removing the leaves does seem to let a bit more light and air in around the plants and helps them to ripen. Maybe there is a more scientific explanation but it does seem to work. Good luck and good crop.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice - will give it a try. dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Has anyone tried the American recipe, fried green tomatoes? If so what was the verdict?

valmarg

Comment

At the risk of being accussed of gloating... I picked three kilo's of tomatoes today, all sorts, gardenperle, tigerella, black, cherry etc and made HFW tomato ketchup. Very good it is too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X