No announcement yet.

Cape Gooseberry Plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just went out to garden in the short interval between today's rain and tonight's. Took my basket just in case anything was ready to harvest.

Started by staking up the quinoa behind my cape goosegogs, and noticed one cape g. was looking brown, so picked it and it was ready! And another - found 6 in the end.

What a delight on such a miserable day.

Also got a basketfull of ready and nearly ready toms; and no blight yet.

[plus the first pinto beans are so nearly ready, so really really pleased].
    Last edited by zazen999; 05-09-2008, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Odd cape gooseberry plants?

Hi - I found some old home grown cape gooseberry seeds - probably at least 2 years old, so I thought I'd see if they germinated.... They did!

But they're not how I remembered them!

My new plants have small black spikes on the leaves... Is this right? Have I managed to grow a mutant version?! Hopefully I've attached the photo!

Thanks in advance!
      Attached Files

Comment

they don't look anything like mine so, yeah! possibly.
        http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Mine are doing ok, it looks like Coventry has milder weather. They are out on the allotment and I'm harvesting some every few days. I'd like to keep them for next year - shall I dig them out and plant in pots to keep in my cold GH or just keep them where they are and cover with straw or some such? Any advice gratefully received.

Comment

I've got one growing as a perrenial in my unheated GH - though I'm waay south so mild here usually.
            I suspect rehoming is the way to go... the one I left out in the garden did survive but didn't do too well come summer.
            Last edited by Baldy; 22-10-2016, 04:40 PM. Reason: typoos - I've ost the abiity to type...
            sigpic
            1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I have cape gooseberry plants that I overwinter in the greenhouse. I think they are frost hardy down to about -5C. They seem to last a couple of seasons in large pots but then get too many dead stalks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairyone View Post
                Hi - I found some old home grown cape gooseberry seeds - probably at least 2 years old, so I thought I'd see if they germinated.... They did!

But they're not how I remembered them!

My new plants have small black spikes on the leaves... Is this right? Have I managed to grow a mutant version?! Hopefully I've attached the photo!

Thanks in advance!
                Did you manage to find out what these were? They look like "Shoo-fly" plants to me which are related to physalis but I don't know if they develop fruit in the same way or whether they are edible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X