No announcement yet.

Squash & Sweet Potato

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you everyone - after reading the notes from Silverfox I thought I wouldn't bother with sweet potato next year, then I read Nicky's notes now I can't decide. I have at least 8 months to think about it.

Comment

Sorry I didn't mean to put you off. If you think about it our weather is always over 24C each summer anyway, and we are now getting longer summers.

I would still give it a go if I was you. If you do let us know how it goes, and how many you get. You never know I could add to the club, but like I say I only eat 1 about every month.

Comment

I had one roasted last night covered with cajun spices, OH kept saying this is good, so I thought next year rather than courgettes (which I seem to give most of them away) sweet potato would be a better bet. I'm beginning to drool just thinking about last night's meal!

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
          Slug - no I haven't fed the squash yet, just given them plenty of water and they are growing in an area of the polytunnel where I put plenty of compost. The courgettes are growing in an area which I fertilised with the contents of the Bokashi Bran bucket from work. I'm wondering if it was a bit rich for courgettes. I've never grown courgettes direct in the grown before, normally in pots or grow bags. I had meant to sow more seeds in a bag, but completely forgot!

Any clues/advice gratefully received!
          Hi Jennie,

I don't know what to say really (well, certainly nothing that will help this year's crop). I wondered if your problem may have been to do with over feeding as this can sometimes produce more leafy growth than flowers. Not sure if your Bokashi Bran bucket was too much? I'll be honest and say I don't actually know what a Bokashi Bran bucket is!! Sorry.... showing my lack of knowledge there!

My courgettes are in a pot (didn't have any more space in the garden!)

Comment

All leaf n no squash

My butternuts are doing great, however a friend of mine grew hers in a large greenhouse last summer- they were all leaf n no squash- could it be that the plants get too stressed by hot temperatures in greenhouses and polytunnels. Maybe you would be better off planting out rather than in the polytunnel?

Comment

Hi
              I am a first time grower and I bought 2 butternut plants from the local garden centre, I planted them in large pots outside (as I have small veg plot) and watered them regularly and one died and the other was struggling to grow to 2 inches tall!!! Then a month ago I bought a greenhouse (excitment!!) and as a last resort I put the poor little butternut in it and one month later the butternut has grown by 2 feet and has 7 bud like growths on it which I am keeping my fingers crossed may become fruit as I love butternut!
              So hopefully I will have a greenhouse butternut success

Caz

Comment

I planted out around 6 of my squash plants into the plot and kept 4 in the greenhouse - boy! what a difference! The ones inside the greenhouse certainly benefitted from that - but the ones outside are now catching up. It must be the hot weather we've had! Had quite a few flowers on both, but think they were only the female ones not the males ones, so keeping my eye on them. What does everyone think - as to keeping them in the greenhouse for a while until they really begin to grow as opposed to planting them outside? I thought it seemed a good idea dexterdog
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi dexterdog.
                  I sowed mine from seed and kept them in the greenhouse until first bud appeared then took a chance and planted two in open ground outside and kept one in a pot. The two outside have done great so far! 10 fruits between the two of them. My OH thinks I am going slightly mad checking each one every morning before I even put the kettle on! But this is my first year at the veg and am really chuffed with the results I am getting. So I am in agreement with you, def greenhouse to start with.

Comment

Thanks Debs - I check my veg first thing in a morning as well - and yes OH thinks Im mad! He does enjoy eating the rewards though! dexterdog
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by ian
                      My butternuts are doing great, however a friend of mine grew hers in a large greenhouse last summer- they were all leaf n no squash- could it be that the plants get too stressed by hot temperatures in greenhouses and polytunnels. Maybe you would be better off planting out rather than in the polytunnel?
                      Thanks for all your advice. Everything I grow in the polytunnel I also plant outside (well just a couple of plants) to see the difference. The squash died within two weeks and the courgette withered within around 48 hours! And this was June. Thats why I ahve the polytunnel, but I keep both doors open all summer to keep the heat down. It is really to keep the wind out!
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

my butternut plant is in a big pot outside. It seems to be going ok, but still seem to be only male flowers. Fingers crossed for some females soon!

Jennie - how are you finding the bokashi bran bucket? I've got my eye on one of those for upcoming birthday. Do you put everything else in it that doesn't go inthe compost or wormery? chicken bones, fish leftovers all that kind of stuff??

Comment

Originally posted by ian
                          I think they prefer cooler climes don't they? Hmm.. got me thinking now
                          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I don't actually own a Bokashi Bran Bucket FHG. I work in the same department as the Council's recycling lot, so we have one in the kitchen at work. Nobody else seemed to want the contents except me!

I think my work colleagues also eat alot of fruit, so probably our work bucket doesn't get filled with a balanced amount of composting material either.

I have had three bucket fulls so far - one went on the courgette bed and the other two I have put direct in the compost bin. Thought that might be safer! I did start a thread about using Bokashi Bran Buckets earlier in the year, but I don't think anybody responded. Perhaps they are not widely used ?
                            ~
                            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie
                              I think they prefer cooler climes don't they? Hmm.. got me thinking now
                              Would not have thought so Shortie, as we grow them in SA outside and the temps are in the region of what you Brits call 'Heatwave' most of the summer! I know they like a lot of water, and we do tend to put them in one corner of the compost heap as we do with pumpkins and let them go wild. Maybe it is the richness of the soil that is the key? What think others?

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson
                                .... Perhaps they are not widely used ?
                                Maybe it's about time I changed that. I listen to the Wiggly Wigglers podcast and they get regular mentions on there - seem like some kind of wonder product. HAve inspected them in the catalogue and am tempted. I just wondered if anyone out there had one for a bit more objective view than maybe you get from WW!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X